Free range chickens with fence?

AutumnDreamer

In the Brooder
8 Years
Apr 17, 2011
How high would a fence need to be to prevent chickens from jumping over? We had to get rid of our chickens this year (just before they started laying) b/c the neighbor complained, now they are changing the zoning so I am getting ready to get chickens again in the spring. I liked having them free range, but with the neighbor I have to be able to keep them over here (even though they only went over their once in 4 mths b/c my daughter didn't tell me we were out of food) so I can put up some 6 ft chicken wire going along the trees between our property, but am thinking maybe just fencing in a big section, so would a 4 ft high fence be tall enough if their wings were clipped?

My 4 ft fence is tall enough without their wings clipped. Some chickens will just jump fences, others won't. It's been over 4 months and not once has a chicken jumped over my fence!
smile.png

It depends on the breed, too. My EEs don't seem to hop over fences too well, especially with their wings clipped. My Hamburgs, OEGBs and Fayoumis can fly up in the trees, even with a good wing clipping. Try to pick out heavier breeds and ask other people with experience in those breeds about flying. I've noticed that my Hamburgs and Fayoumis have gigantic wing size in relation to their body, no wonder they fly so well!

Mine fly to the top of a 6 foot kennel and scoot over the 4 foot fence with ease; however, they seem to understand or are at least content staying inside the fence most of the time. I give them a lot of treats inside and lead them to the yard in the morning (golden comets and white leghorns) I guess if there were nowhere to perch on top of the fence, they wouldn't go over as often, if ever.

The last ones we had, we gave to a friend so I still get to see them, and three of them fly over the 6 ft fence they have around their run, two of those three are Aeuracanas (sp?) and one is a white rock. So I wasn't sure if 4 ft would be enough, but I am thinking with a large enough area and a few places to roost (other then on top of the fence) they should be satisfied.

If you can get roosters now that the zoning laws have changed you should probably get at least four. Just a little Christmas gift for the neighbor that complained.

caf.gif
old.gif
I have a 4' fence that keeps my chickens in good.I did have to go to one end of my run and extend my fence up about 3' and that was because I have 4x4 bracing at the top and that was what they needed to get them going.Since then I have had no escapes.I have prod reds and black sex links.Wings have never been clipped.1 rooster and 7 hens.They have about a 30'x90' run.I give them morning snacks and free range feed.So far so good.Good Luck
thumbsup.gif
:weee

I have bantam and LF and their area which consists of woods and pasture is surrounded by a four ft fence. I have never had any go over, even the d'Anvers stay Inside no problem. I figured I would have to clip their wings but no need. They have ample room, different types of foraging areas, and even their own garden. They just don't feel the need to fly out.

Back
Top Bottom