SconnieChickens

Chirping
Mar 18, 2020
Southern Wisconsin
I am brand new to raising chickens and I am debating on how to manage them...we have about an acre of unfenced land and a coop that's been given to us by friends. I'd like to let them out, but I have some concerns:
1.) We live pretty close to a road that sees a decent amount of traffic.
2.) I have lots of plants on the property that I don't want to see destroyed that can't be individually fenced.
3.) I have a lovely dog that will seek out and eat every piece of poop not washed away and then get VERY VERY SICK. I speak from experience. Lots of it.

I have room to give them a good sized run (30 ft long or more) but I don't want them to be unhealthy because they don't have access to grass. I don't know how long the grass in the run would last or if I could supplement.
BTW this is for 8-12 hens. TIA!

I bought a 20x20x6 fence/dog pen and I cover it with a net. And I move it around every month or so. I normally free range but currently I’m not and that fence has worked well so far.

Welcome!
Free ranging is great sometimes, but there will be problems too. Predators will take birds, generally your favorites. Birds might try crossing that road and fail. They will love your favorite plants, and rearrange all your mulched beds. They may hide eggs so you can't fine them, at least until they are inedible. They may decide to visit the neighbors, definitely a bad thing!
Your run will be bare ground in a short time, unless you can rotate it to fresh sites often. Plan to have shavings, wood chips, and assorted plant materials in it for the birds to play in instead of hoping for grass.
Many of us free range, and have a safe run and coop for times when the birds must be kept in, sometimes for weeks, because of a predator, or heavy snow. Having a big enough covered run is worth it whether you free range or not!
Mary

In your scenario a run is probably a better option. But kiss goodbye to the grass. There's no reason chickens living in a run can't be healthy - provide them ample space and things to do, and if you want them to have greens you can either provide them with some or even build them their own garden (protected of course, as they'll destroy it otherwise).

In your scenario a run is probably a better option. But kiss goodbye to the grass. There's no reason chickens living in a run can't be healthy - provide them ample space and things to do, and if you want them to have greens you can either provide them with some or even build them their own garden (protected of course, as they'll destroy it otherwise).
Thanks for your advice! Any idea how I would give them their own protected garden? I'm picturing like a raised bed of sorts with some wire over it?

Thanks for your advice! Any idea how I would give them their own protected garden? I'm picturing like a raised bed of sorts with some wire over it?

Some options:
1) grazing frames (which I don't have, but if you do a site search some photos should come up
2) garden beds or container garden with fencing - I used to have raised beds for veggies in the run and wrapped chicken wire around it and topped it with bird netting to keep the birds out. The chickens were free to eat have whatever they could reach between the chicken wire - all sorts of greens, carrot tops.
oldrun.jpg

I needed more run space and more garden space so those raised beds got removed, but I added another one behind the run and trellised peas on the chain link run fence. Again the chickens are free to eat what they can reach.

I bought a 20x20x6 fence/dog pen and I cover it with a net. And I move it around every month or so. I normally free range but currently I’m not and that fence has worked well so far.
I was thinking of doing this with a PVC pen, maybe with some wheels so I could easily move it. Not as a permanent spot they would still go back to their permanent coop and run at night. But more like a playpen of sorts lol. That way I can hose down the lawn after I rotate it so my sweet pup doesn't munch all their stuff.

Some options:
1) grazing frames (which I don't have, but if you do a site search some photos should come up
2) garden beds or container garden with fencing - I used to have raised beds for veggies in the run and wrapped chicken wire around it and topped it with bird netting to keep the birds out. The chickens were free to eat have whatever they could reach between the chicken wire - all sorts of greens, carrot tops.
View attachment 2055680

I needed more run space and more garden space so those raised beds got removed, but I added another one behind the run and trellised peas on the chain link run fence. Again the chickens are free to eat what they can reach.
I love that idea! Lucky chickens that looks like a great set up 😊

Welcome!
Free ranging is great sometimes, but there will be problems too. Predators will take birds, generally your favorites. Birds might try crossing that road and fail. They will love your favorite plants, and rearrange all your mulched beds. They may hide eggs so you can't fine them, at least until they are inedible. They may decide to visit the neighbors, definitely a bad thing!
Your run will be bare ground in a short time, unless you can rotate it to fresh sites often. Plan to have shavings, wood chips, and assorted plant materials in it for the birds to play in instead of hoping for grass.
Many of us free range, and have a safe run and coop for times when the birds must be kept in, sometimes for weeks, because of a predator, or heavy snow. Having a big enough covered run is worth it whether you free range or not!
Mary
Thanks! Every year we get (along with my inlaws) a semi full of mulch from the city...it's just whatever trees got stuck into the wood chipper. Think something like that would work, maybe with some pine shavings or straw mixed in there?

it's just whatever trees got stuck into the wood chipper. Think something like that would work, maybe with some pine shavings or straw mixed in there?
That's what I use...better if it sits for while before putting too much in the run,
especially if it's been chipped while green/wet...certain molds can be toxic.

Better to have a large permanent run, IMO....pretty hard to make a large enough enclosure that predator/weather proof and easily movable.
How many birds are you going to get.
Build the coop and run before getting birds...it'll take longer than you think.
Lots to learn, the first year is like getting a sip of water from a fire hose!

Oh, and.....Welcome to BYC! @SconnieChickens
Where in this world are you located?
Climate, and time of year, is almost always a factor.
Please add your general geographical location to your profile.
It's easy to do, and then it's always there!
1584620114933.png

Back
Top Bottom