Free Range Part Time

Ruth1966

In the Brooder
Apr 3, 2023
Hi All,
My flock of 6 Rhode Island Reds get to free range part of the day. One of my girls discovered she can fly on the fence and fly to the other side. Does anyone have suggestions how to keep them on their side of the fence so that won't get into trouble. I have dogs, but they do not bother them, but I don't let them inter act without me in the pen with them.

Suggestions?

Thanks,

Hi All,
My flock of 6 Rhode Island Reds get to free range part of the day. One of my girls discovered she can fly on the fence and fly to the other side. Does anyone have suggestions how to keep them on their side of the fence so that won't get into trouble. I have dogs, but they do not bother them, but I don't let them inter act without me in the pen with them.

Suggestions?

Thanks,
Clip their wings it’s easy after you catch the bird and make sure you Clip both sides.

How can I clip their wings my self
Here’s a diagram to show how far up to clip them. I would firmly hold the chicken and only expose one wing to clip. Make sure not to clip too far up. You can use the football tuck to do this so as to have more control.

Attachments

• IMG_0643.png
    IMG_0643.png
    2 MB · Views: 6
Clipping wings might help.
How high is the fence and does it have a solid top edge to land on?
Extend the fence higher with a loose floppy material.

Back
Top Bottom