Free range: what's your definition?

Quote:
That's pretty much my definition. I open the coops in the morning (though not at dawn, too many predators still around at dawn here), no fences except the fence around our house - the younger birds can squeeze into the yard, the older ones are too big to - 80 acres for them to roam. The two coops are outside the fenced yard. Most days they stay within sight of their coop. A couple of times I've found the older birds down by the pond, about 5 acres away, but they are easily called back. The younger birds explored the pond area one time. Locked up safe in their coops at night.

One coop has an auto. door opener, one does not.

I have no problem stating that my eggs are from free range hens.

Amen !!!

Personnally, I would define unlimited ranging with no restrictions whatsoever as "Open Range". As in: all open range are free range, but not all free range are open range. Just my thoughts...
smile.png
Allowed to freely range outside the confines of a coop and graze.????

I think some control is a good thing in many cases, especially if one is invilved in controlled breeding and attempting to stay in the black with ones chicken operation. If a flock is ONLY fed commercial feed and doesn't have access to naturally graze, they shouldn't be considered free range, pastured, or open range.

Last edited:
Mine run during the day and then roost in an empty cage and dont get locked up if something gets then i trap it and leave the trap out at least 2 weeks before they are let out again.

I like these definitions.

In my situation I fence off a 900 square portion of our orchard which is fenced in all the way around and poulty wire over the trees to protect from hawks (we have many).

There are too coops within the yard and also four large fruit trees and numerous shribs and bushes.

I supplement the soil weekly with new grass cuttings, fruit tree pickins and other compostible items. The trees also give off a lot of material.

So I guess they "free range" within this large enclosure but they can't "open range" as it's deadly around here.

I use to like to let them out to wander the orchard and explore, but I lost three to hawks in four days. That activity was over fast.

Geri

I have 12 chickens that can come and go from their 10X 16 ft run as soon as I open the coop in the morning, usually about 8:00, they can mosey around 5 acres until they put themselves to bed in the coop about 7:30 at night, I consider this to be free range. OF course, sometimes if there is alot of activity out in the field they are in, I'll lock them up into the run, ex. kids riding quads or the horses are being too frisky, but I still consider this to be free range. However, if they free range too far, they will be eaten., they sem to have their confort zone wich is very close to the coop maybe they only use 20 ft. diameter from it. guess I have chicken chickens.

My chickens are given unlimited feed while they are in the brooder. Then it goes down to about three pounds in the morning and three pounds in the evening. All the other feed they must find themselves. But mine have access to 5 acres, with an orchard and a few compost piles. I haven't had any issue so far, although at first I was worried they would eat themselves sick on apples. I consider mine free range, although they do have a fenced area the gate is only shut when the dogs are out.

Revised definitions...

"Open Range" unlimited non-fenced, unprotected wandering chickens, access to coop, barn or whatever at night
"Free Range" chickens who have free access to the outdoors, but could have a perimeter barrier or fence, access to coop at night
"Limited Free Range" Free access to the outdoors in a fenced or proteced area, larger than 10 square feet per chicken.
"Pastured" could mean in a fenced chicken tractor with coop that gets moved around or a large run with grass etc that they have access to...
"Cage free"....I guess depending on one's thoughts, even a run could be considered a cage, but I'm pretty sure that means not living in a confined cage without access to open association with other chickens.....
"Coop" the structure in which the chickens stay at night, gennerally with a place for egg laying and gathering. Sometimes referred to as a hen house.
"Run" a fenced or protected area usually adjoining a coop which provides outdoor access for the chickens. an outdoor enclosure for the protection and control.

I think the term "free range" was probably invented by egg sellers as a marketing term to appeal to consumers. I also think people confuse the old west "open range" definition with free range. In my opinion, they are not the same thing. Many of us live in states or areas where open range is a fact of life. You hit a cow on the road, it's not the farmers fault, its yours. All open range chickens are free range, but free range chickens aren't all necessarily open range.

I also define a coop as the structure where the chickens spend the night, and a run as a controlled area in which the chickens "run" A run is not a coop.

Back
Top Bottom