Is it safe let chickens free range where there has been a recent fire?

RI Rooster

Chirping
Apr 22, 2018
Unfortunately, my next door neighbor dumped his old wood stove ashes in the woods behind his house and that led to a forest fire. The fire spread through the wooded area behind my property where my chicken's free range and took down part of my fence. I am concerned about any possible risks to their health or the health of my family when eating the eggs if they free range in the burned area. Is there any byproduct of the fire that is hazardous? All the burned material was natural ground cover and forest debris.

Thanks ahead of time if you share thoughts!

It's been a week. I don't know of any unnatural materials that burned in the fire other than my pvc fence. I was just concerned about any potential carcinogens when they free range. Thanks for the replies. I should probably be more concerned with the fallout from Ohio than a forest fire now that I think of it. Half the northeast will get sick from that fiasco!

Old poultry-keeping books recommend providing chickens with charcoal right along with access to grit and oystershell.
Yes, my... grandma in law (is that what you call your spouse's grandma? Lol) owned chickens in Eastern Europe and when we got ours she was always stressing that we make sure they have ash and sand out at all times. I still wonder what the purpose of the sand is... dust bath or grit? Anyway, like you said, ash is perfectly fine and has been used by chicken keepers for centuries. We do have it out in the warmer months when we have our fire pit going. The chickens love it. Also, I've noticed that ash is common ingredient in chicken feed.

I would make sure there are no nails or plastic residues in it.

Wood pallets are often burned over here but have tiny nails which are, obviously, bad.

Although illegal to burn anything plastic sometimes it does happen (especially by the old fella down the road 😠)

Hugz

Unfortunately, my next door neighbor dumped his old wood stove ashes in the woods behind his house and that led to a forest fire. The fire spread through the wooded area behind my property where my chicken's free range and took down part of my fence. I am concerned about any possible risks to their health or the health of my family when eating the eggs if they free range in the burned area. Is there any byproduct of the fire that is hazardous? All the burned material was natural ground cover and forest debris.

Thanks ahead of time if you share thoughts!
The guy needs hitting around the head with a wet kipper !

Back
Top Bottom