Free ranging chickens! Q and A ( my experience)

Pics
Mar 3, 2023
here you can ask me and others questions wether you should free range and just some general questions about free ranging!

here are a few!

Q: how long do my chickens free range?
A: 5-12 hours
Q: are my chickens safe when free ranging?
A: it depends on your fence and trees. if you have a broken fence a dog or other animal can get in, and if your yard is open with little to no trees a hawk or eagle might get them.
Q: should I supervise them?
A; you don't need to watch 24\7 but check in to make sure they are safe.
Q: are chickens happier when free ranging?
A: yes! they will be super happy if you free ranged them. mine have always been free range and they tend to be nicer, happier chickens.
(My experience)
Q: will my chickens learn to go back inside the coop when its late?
A: while it depends on the chickens, our chickens always go inside at about 7-8 by themselves. you may have to train them to.

any other questions?

Last edited:
I think that there can be quite a difference in what each of mean when we talk about free ranging. I think some people refer to free ranging when they let them out into a fenced back yard.

When I let mine out, it is into a 'home' pasture of several hundred acres surrounded only by a 3 barb wire fence for cattle. They don't use the whole pasture, they tend to stay fairly close to my set up, but the predators are totally different than in town.

Mrs K

So can you give some examples on the benefits of free ranging?
I'd think there may be some benefit of the added things to their diet that free ranging would provide. :confused: If nothing else the little bit of saving on feed costs is good.
I'd also think there could be some benefits on leasing some behavioral issues due to more space and activities.
I usually free range a lot and then in the spring and summer I pen some of those same birds in breeding pens. When penned I can definitely see a difference. More squabbles, more pacing, etc.

Ugh I’m jealous they free range in Minnesota. I’m in MA and we still don’t have enough cover so I worry about them free ranging
Can you make cover? If you can find or buy cheap pallets, ladders, something like that and lean them against a fence or wall? Three or four pieces of old lumber, secure to the ground and lean them against something? Maybe put shade cloth over them when it's hot? I've been thinking of doing things like this since my hens started free ranging. They are a year old now. I do have a few shady spots they went to last summer, and it got over 100 degrees here in New Mexico, and mine did fine. I put out a lot of watering options for them, but plan to make more shade structures this year. For shade and overhead predators, also. :)

If I couldn't free range I wouldn't have chickens. They are more content when they are scratching along rhe woodline with plenty of cover. When we're home sun up to sun down and never had to train to go to roost. One attack from a Coopers Hawk that was a miss but kept the birds squawking for over a hour. RIRs and Barred Rocks were pretty sharp. Now have Blk Aus and understand they are pretty aloof to predation. Have to see.

I am going to jump in here on the free ranging. We free range our chickens in central Indiana every day. The time of day they are let out varies from day to day. They return to their coop on their own at dusk (untrained, they do it for protection).

We had not lost a chicken in a year, and suddenly, 6 months after the death of our oldest lab, it seemed like our yard became a predator smorgasbord! We suddenly had foxes inside our fence (5' high), and hawks were lurking everywhere. We tried everything to protect the hens, but alas we ended up losing 6 in a matter of a couple of months. We hung predator tape from trees and fences, and this seemed to help initially.

We then got 2 - 4 month old great Pyrenees/boarder collie mix pups, and within a matter of 3 months had them trained to leave the chickens alone and they both watch over the flock and patrol the yard.

The presence of dogs and dog scent seems to be the best predator deterrent.

Well i dont really understand but ill try to say what i think you mean:)
Ive been free ranging since ive had chickens, so 9 years.
I live in minnosota so right now during the day its 40-60 during the day and 30-40 during the night. Its often 60-80 degrees in the summer and thats pretty hot, but they find trees and shade.
I think the temp in Minnesota is perfect for chickens. Sorry if that's not what you meant?
Yes, that's what I meant.
Kind of surprised youv'e got 9 years under your belt,
the questions you've posed here(in other threads) are novice.

So can you give some examples on the benefits of free ranging?
well they get to eat bugs, and plants, and grass. Different greens are healthy and most bugs are protien. They also get a lot of exercise. Normally in the spring and summer it lowers the rate at wich i need to buy food cause they eat outside often. ( they still eat their normal food) they also eat tics, so they are natural pest killers at my house. There are probably more but these are some. Im also not saying everybody needs to free range and i dont like them if they dont, im just saying its a good option.

Yes.
What is your experience with keeping free range chickens?
Years, location/climate, etc?
I'm headed toward 2nd year with chickens. All free range from 7 a.m. till dark. They seem to hang out in the bushes,run,and under our deck. I'm in west Tennessee so winters are not super harsh. My original flock has the big Brahma,Cochin,Orps,and a bantam .(10 hens,2 roos). They are a year old. I'm adding 3 more Orps and 3 Jersey Giants this spring. Also had two Cochin chicks hatch (using bantam hen). So..Will have 20 chickens in total. I have had no problems with free range so far. Guess Ive been lucky. This area has hawks,crows,fox,and other dangerous critters. I also have a dog that hangs out with these chickens sometimes so that may help keep them safe.

Attachments

• 20230421_073218.jpg
    20230421_073218.jpg
    741.7 KB · Views: 9
  • 20221002_181402.jpg
    20221002_181402.jpg
    234.4 KB · Views: 10

Back
Top Bottom