Free ranging chickens! Q and A ( my experience)

Pics
Mar 3, 2023
here you can ask me and others questions wether you should free range and just some general questions about free ranging!

here are a few!

Q: how long do my chickens free range?
A: 5-12 hours
Q: are my chickens safe when free ranging?
A: it depends on your fence and trees. if you have a broken fence a dog or other animal can get in, and if your yard is open with little to no trees a hawk or eagle might get them.
Q: should I supervise them?
A; you don't need to watch 24\7 but check in to make sure they are safe.
Q: are chickens happier when free ranging?
A: yes! they will be super happy if you free ranged them. mine have always been free range and they tend to be nicer, happier chickens.
(My experience)
Q: will my chickens learn to go back inside the coop when its late?
A: while it depends on the chickens, our chickens always go inside at about 7-8 by themselves. you may have to train them to.

any other questions?

Last edited:
Yes.
What is your experience with keeping free range chickens?
Years, location/climate, etc?
Well i dont really understand but ill try to say what i think you mean:)
We've been free ranging since we've had chickens, so 9 years.
I live in minnosota so right now during the day its 40-60 during the day and 30-40 during the night. Its often 60-80 degrees in the summer and thats pretty hot, but they find trees and shade.
I think the temp in Minnesota is perfect for chickens. Sorry if that's not what you meant?

Last edited:
id say at least 1-3. i think in all ive only lost about 5-8 chickens to predators. normally they get sick or are really old. im a freak about them so i am always watching

So in the whole time you've been free ranging you've only lost 5-8 chickens to predators or 1-3 per year?

So in the whole time you've been free ranging you've only lost 5-8 chickens to predators or 1-3 per year?
id say. i cant recall all predator deaths. id say instead 10-12 chickens lost to predators. i cant remember but ive had a lot of chickens so mabye that. and i didnt lose any chickens to predators in the past year.

Back
Top Bottom