Free ranging chickens! Q and A ( my experience)

Do you have any LGDs guarding the chickens
No. But i have two dogs that have a fenced in area to go to the bathroom and they would bark at any predator. They dont go by my chickens though. I have 3 roos and they are great at gaurding my hens and hide when they see a big bird.

LGD does mean guard dogs right?

Last edited:
here you can ask me and others questions wether you should free range and just some general questions about free ranging!

here are a few!

Q: how long should chickens free range?
A: 5-12 hours
Q: are my chickens safe when free ranging?
A: it depends on your fence and trees. if you have a broken fence a dog or fox can get in, and if your yard is open with little to no trees a hawk or eagle might get them.
Q: should I supervise them?
A; you don't need to watch 24\7 but check in to make sure they are safe.
Q: are chickens happier when free ranging?
A: yes! they will be super happy if you free ranged them. mine have always been free range and they tend to be nicer, happier chickens.
Q: will my chickens learn to go back inside the coop when its late?
A: while it depends on the chickens, our chickens always go inside at about 7-8 by themselves. you may have to train them to.

any other questions?
So why 5 - 12 hours? Is there a benefit to 12 hours over say 16?
When you speak of a fence what height fence are you referring to?

So why 5 - 12 hours? Is there a benefit to 12 hours over say 16?
When you speak of a fence what height fence are you referring to?
Well these are the answers i use. I didnt mean it applies to every single person, sorry. I normally give them 12 hours outside. Also i have a 4- 4 1/2 foot fence, ( i think that's how tall) i know a fox could get over it, but i have rarely foxes where i live. Dogs have enver gotten in, and most my neigbors have dogs
Also it has no benefits, its just how much time i give them

A: yes! they will be super happy if you free ranged them. mine have always been free range and they tend to be nicer, happier chickens.

If you have always free ranged, how do you know the chickens are nicer and happier? Are you implying that for us that don't free range, our chickens are mean and unhappy?

I recently chainsawed some dead branches in the same yard where my girls free range. It dawned on me that in so doing some chain oil was sprayed around the area during normal saw operation. Is this oil a danger to them?

If you have always free ranged, how do you know the chickens are nicer and happier? Are you implying that for us that don't free range, our chickens are mean and unhappy?
No thats not what i meant, i meant they feel more free. I have noticed that during winter when they cant free range, they act less social and dont want to be by me. If chickens have never been free ranged they will act nice and happy, i meant being free range, they are happier then when they are cooped up, when they have always been free range. I didnt mean that anything abd towards people who dont free range, sorry

Well i dont really understand but ill try to say what i think you mean:)
Ive been free ranging since ive had chickens, so 9 years.
I live in minnosota so right now during the day its 40-60 during the day and 30-40 during the night. Its often 60-80 degrees in the summer and thats pretty hot, but they find trees and shade.
I think the temp in Minnesota is perfect for chickens. Sorry if that's not what you meant?
Yes, that's what I meant.
Kind of surprised youv'e got 9 years under your belt,
the questions you've posed here(in other threads) are novice.

I recently chainsawed some dead branches in the same yard where my girls free range. It dawned on me that in so doing some chain oil was sprayed around the area during normal saw operation. Is this oil a danger to them?
Im sorry i dont know. I couldnt give an opinion because i may be wrong. Sorry:(

Well these are the answers i use. I didnt mean it applies to every single person, sorry. I normally give them 12 hours outside. Also i have a 4- 4 1/2 foot fence, ( i think that's how tall) i know a fox could get over it, but i have rarely foxes where i live. Dogs have enver gotten in, and most my neigbors have dogs
Also it has no benefits, its just how much time i give them

I'm confused. Didn't you say there was a benefit to free ranging?

I'm confused. Didn't you say there was a benefit to free ranging?
Well there is, i meant that 12 hours is my normal schedule that i let my chickens out at. And if i did let them out for 16 hours, I feel that its not too different. 5-12 hours is my schedule and free ranging is beneficial,
Some of the Q and A are from my own experience and not what every one needs to do, sorry if people are confused

Back
Top Bottom