Free ranging chickens! Q and A ( my experience)

I collect what poop my chickens leave on B porch in cracked buckets. Leave the buckets in the B yard for a year, to age, be rained on. Aged C poop is some of the BEST fertilizer. I've heard some pay Money for it. Also, I am NOT a 'everything in its place' type, thankfully on 20 ac, Rural.

I collect what poop my chickens leave on B porch in cracked buckets. Leave the buckets in the B yard for a year, to age, be rained on. Aged C poop is some of the BEST fertilizer. I've heard some pay Money for it. Also, I am NOT a 'everything in its place' type, thankfully on 20 ac, Rural.
Great idea! You are correct, our Ace hardware used to sell bagged chicken manure. In fact, there are lawn care companies whose organic fertilizer is chicken poop pellets. I use hemp in the coop, and when I need fertilizer or at clean out time, I put the hemp/poop bedding mixture in the garden and work it in the soil.

What I don't use goes in a pile in the woods to age for later use.

here you can ask me and others questions wether you should free range and just some general questions about free ranging!

here are a few!

Q: how long do my chickens free range?
A: 5-12 hours
Q: are my chickens safe when free ranging?
A: it depends on your fence and trees. if you have a broken fence a dog or other animal can get in, and if your yard is open with little to no trees a hawk or eagle might get them.
Q: should I supervise them?
A; you don't need to watch 24\7 but check in to make sure they are safe.
Q: are chickens happier when free ranging?
A: yes! they will be super happy if you free ranged them. mine have always been free range and they tend to be nicer, happier chickens.
(My experience)
Q: will my chickens learn to go back inside the coop when its late?
A: while it depends on the chickens, our chickens always go inside at about 7-8 by themselves. you may have to train them to.

any other questions?
You don’t need to watch them every second but be alert to anything unusual is happening. Sounds and movement. Like if they start running, or if the rooster rounds them up or heads for the barn or makes particular noises that you know are warning noises. One day I was trimming my peach trees about 50 feet from where I was letting my chickens free range. They were happily taking a dirt bath around old stump of a tree. I thought they were perfectly safe but somehow I perceived movement out of the corner of my eye. I took a second look and Lo and behold in the taller weeds of a nearby pasture, a coyote was lurking. I jumped up and down and waved my long handled pruning shears, and he trotted away at the same time that apparently the rooster became aware of it, and started rounding up the chickens which is probably what I was also alert to. That was several years ago. This year has been a good year. I’ve only seen one coyote at a distance. They must’ve moved to another neighborhood for now. But they’ll be back. This year is was raccoons. Evidently there was a board missing that left a gap, 6 feet up on the covered Chicken yard. I believe the board went missing during a thunderstorm that we’d had a few weeks before. Evidently something got in and massacred my Drake leaving his mauled body there, but had taken with it a chicken. The intruder had to pull the chicken all the way up climbing up the fenced covered yard and pulling that chicken through a 4”x10” hole And down the other side. Broke my heart. Especially because I feel responsible for it because I should’ve noticed that board was missing but it was in an obscure place. But the raccoon knew. I saw muddy smears - evidence of some thing that had climbed up the side of the covered chicken yard. That place is built like Fort Knox, but this fella found a way in. I repaired it and although he’s come back looking, has not been successful at getting in. I have not said a live trap for him, but I think he’s gone elsewhere now. The lesson here is be alert to anything different or unusual. Muddy smears on the frame of the covered chicken yard were the clues that I was missing in the beginning. And the fact that my dogs who were in the house, barked up a storm. I looked out toward the barn and saw that the motion detection light was on, but I didn’t see any critters running around like sometimes I might see a deer or some other critter. So I didn’t go out and check. That’s the second mistake I made. I should’ve heeded my dogs warning- but I was off duty that evening. You can’t be off duty. You’re on duty 24/7.

I've had chickens on and off for about 25 years. I've kept them on an apartment patio and free as far as they wanted to go.
I think chickens are just happy, adaptable creatures.... My current ones have a large coop w an automatic door. The yard is fenced- but when I first moved here I lost 3 birds to a local dog.
They are waiting every morning in front of that door! So cute.
I spend my time building little fenced areas for my garden, plants, protecting my wild milkweed patch, on and on. The chickens definitely take over!

What is a good age to start? My chicks are about 2 months old. I have been letting them out, supervised in the evening since they were a month old. They have the routine down. I have plenty of cover and an lgd...
here you can ask me and others questions wether you should free range and just some general questions about free ranging!

here are a few!

Q: how long do my chickens free range?
A: 5-12 hours
Q: are my chickens safe when free ranging?
A: it depends on your fence and trees. if you have a broken fence a dog or other animal can get in, and if your yard is open with little to no trees a hawk or eagle might get them.
Q: should I supervise them?
A; you don't need to watch 24\7 but check in to make sure they are safe.
Q: are chickens happier when free ranging?
A: yes! they will be super happy if you free ranged them. mine have always been free range and they tend to be nicer, happier chickens.
(My experience)
Q: will my chickens learn to go back inside the coop when its late?
A: while it depends on the chickens, our chickens always go inside at about 7-8 by themselves. you may have to train them to.

any other questions?

What is a good age to start? My chicks are about 2 months old. I have been letting them out, supervised in the evening since they were a month old. They have the routine down. I have plenty of cover and an lgd...

It all depends on a few factors. What breed(s) are they? Are they giving reliable warning calls? Have you seen them take cover? How well can they fly? Lastly, this has nothing to do with the birds, but I'm curious because I love LGD's. What breed is your LGD?

It all depends on a few factors. What breed(s) are they? Are they giving reliable warning calls? Have you seen them take cover? How well can they fly? Lastly, this has nothing to do with the birds, but I'm curious because I love LGD's. What breed is your LGD?
Several breeds... Oegb, phoenix, cochins, brown leghorn, Sumatra, Yokohama... I think that's it... I have heard them alarm call and run for cover at every thing from birds to dog to cat... The cochins aren't great fliers, but the go to roost just fine...

And Demeter is a Anatolian shepherd... Super sweet girl.

Several breeds... Oegb, phoenix, cochins, brown leghorn, Sumatra, Yokohama... I think that's it... I have heard them alarm call and run for cover at every thing from birds to dog to cat... The cochins aren't great fliers, but the go to roost just fine...

And Demeter is a Anatolian shepherd... Super sweet girl.

OK. You've selected really good breeds. I'd say they're good to go. Are you planning on keeping them out at night as well? Is Demeter in with them, or does she patrol the area around them?

I built a shed sized building for a coop for them to roost in. I have been training them to go in at night after supervised ranging. And Demeter wanders the property around the house and coop and compost n such. I'm on 10 acres, but she only goes around the used area.

OK. You've selected really good breeds. I'd say they're good to go. Are you planning on keeping them out at night as well? Is Demeter in with them, or does she patrol the area around them?

Hello! I’ve got 19 chickens outside currently, 1 roo. When we first moved them outside my 13 lb terrier mix with no freakin teeth managed to kill 3 in a matter of 2 days. She pins them and snaps their necks and leaves them. I have a 65lb coon hound who is spooked easily (oxymoron I know) and 2 indoor outdoor cats that like to watch them.
I’d love to let them out of the run into the yard—I have a flat clear acre of land with big trees on the fence line area all around. Knowing this my questions are:

1: now that the chickens are basically full grown (16 weeks) would it still be a concern for my ahole terrier? She’s fast but I’m wondering if since they’re bigger than her now (minus the Polish) she’ll leave them be?
2: will they go back in to the coop at nighttime like they normally do?
3: how close do they keep by their run/coop? Should I be concerned about them venturing off to the other side of the property where my garden is? I am outside 80% of the day during the gardening season!

Back
Top Bottom