Free ranging chickens! Q and A ( my experience)

Well there is, i meant that 12 hours is my normal schedule that i let my chickens out at. And if i did let them out for 16 hours, I feel that its not too different. 5-12 hours is my schedule and free ranging is beneficial,
Some of the Q and A are from my own experience and not what every one needs to do, sorry if people are confused

So can you give some examples on the benefits of free ranging?

well they get to eat bugs, and plants, and grass. Different greens are healthy and most bugs are protien. They also get a lot of exercise. Normally in the spring and summer it lowers the rate at wich i need to buy food cause they eat outside often. ( they still eat their normal food) they also eat tics, so they are natural pest killers at my house. There are probably more but these are some. Im also not saying everybody needs to free range and i dont like them if they dont, im just saying its a good option.

I'd think there may be some benefit of the added things to their diet that free ranging would provide. :confused: If nothing else the little bit of saving on feed costs is good.
I'd also think there could be some benefits on leasing some behavioral issues due to more space and activities.
I usually free range a lot and then in the spring and summer I pen some of those same birds in breeding pens. When penned I can definitely see a difference. More squabbles, more pacing, etc.

I'd think there may be some benefit of the added things to their diet that free ranging would provide. :confused: If nothing else the little bit of saving on feed costs is good.
I'd also think there could be some benefits on leasing some behavioral issues due to more space and activities.
I usually free range a lot and then in the spring and summer I pen some of those same birds in breeding pens. When penned I can definitely see a difference. More squabbles, more pacing, etc.

I do agree with most of the points you brought up. Although I've had to separate and treat for open wounds more birds during the summer months when they're out every single day

I'd love to have those benefits for my chickens, but I have to weigh them against the predator load/losses, increased disease load (mites, lice, avian flu, etc.), and I don't have a large backyard to let them range in. Can't have them disturb my neighbors. Not an easy cost/benefits analysis.

I'd say it's an option, not necessarily a good one. I've been keeping free range flocks for 11 years, as well as penned flocks, and flocks I've periodically free ranged and penned. I also select good free ranging breeds, that are known for their flying skills and alertness. My most successful free rangers so far? My ISA brown. Point is, free ranging is dangerous, I've had half my flock wiped out by a fox while there were two guard dogs (that have killed foxes before) on the property. Does it provide more space for the birds and reduce cost? Sure, but it's not something everyone's comfortable with doing, because at the end of the day it's going to expose your birds to more dangers, that being predators or them getting stolen (yes I've had it happen) or them escaping and getting hit by moving vehicles

Ugh I’m jealous they free range in Minnesota. I’m in MA and we still don’t have enough cover so I worry about them free ranging
Can you make cover? If you can find or buy cheap pallets, ladders, something like that and lean them against a fence or wall? Three or four pieces of old lumber, secure to the ground and lean them against something? Maybe put shade cloth over them when it's hot? I've been thinking of doing things like this since my hens started free ranging. They are a year old now. I do have a few shady spots they went to last summer, and it got over 100 degrees here in New Mexico, and mine did fine. I put out a lot of watering options for them, but plan to make more shade structures this year. For shade and overhead predators, also. :)

I think that there can be quite a difference in what each of mean when we talk about free ranging. I think some people refer to free ranging when they let them out into a fenced back yard.

When I let mine out, it is into a 'home' pasture of several hundred acres surrounded only by a 3 barb wire fence for cattle. They don't use the whole pasture, they tend to stay fairly close to my set up, but the predators are totally different than in town.

Mrs K

Can you make cover? If you can find or buy cheap pallets, ladders, something like that and lean them against a fence or wall? Three or four pieces of old lumber, secure to the ground and lean them against something? Maybe put shade cloth over them when it's hot? I've been thinking of doing things like this since my hens started free ranging. They are a year old now. I do have a few shady spots they went to last summer, and it got over 100 degrees here in New Mexico, and mine did fine. I put out a lot of watering options for them, but plan to make more shade structures this year. For shade and overhead predators, also. :)
I’ve thought of that! I’m trying to plant more trees but those take a while. They also have a row of apple trees for cover when they cross the yard - refuse to use it! Go through the most open area of the yard. 😂

Back
Top Bottom