Free ranging in snow?

Help-I have suffered a loss recently-have owned/raised laying hens for years-I have raised several types such as Reds, New Hampshires, Buffs and recently Barred Rocks. I also have 2 Golden Lace, well had 2, one was killed last week during daylight hours-I found her the next morning after a long sleepless night and several hours of searching. My 7 hens are in the run all day, but when I get home from work I let them out to free range in with my horses, they typically go on the front lawn of course, and I found my dead hen on the lawn the next morning. She was basically gutted, and de-feathered on the underbelly. I am so upset I don't dare let them out again. I have 2 hounds in the neighborhood who have known these birds from chick stage and have always left them alone-could one of them played with the hen and killed it? Any feedback is appreciated-I do not live near woods, actually have 15 acres of open pasture, and this bird was killed in late afternoon, before 5 pm when I call them in and count them.

I normally free range my chickens all year. But no matter how hard I try, I cannot get my chickens to go out in the snow. I leave their door open all day, but they won't go out. Is there any way to convince them to go out? Because after being cooped up all the time, they start to fight. :/

I normally free range my chickens all year. But no matter how hard I try, I cannot get my chickens to go out in the snow. I leave their door open all day, but they won't go out. Is there any way to convince them to go out? Because after being cooped up all the time, they start to fight.
hmm.png
try making a path in the snow but leave about 2" for them to walk on. then put a bowl of goodies out in the snow and make a trail of goodies from the coop too the bowl. chickens are suckers for goodies.

Okay thanks! I'll try that when it starts snowing. We still don't have any snow in Michigan yet... :( But we might get some this weekend! Thanks for the tip. My chickens are some of the most stubborn animals I have ever met.

Chickens should do just fine free ranging in the snow. I provide for them to have their feet dry though. They have their coop, of course. But I also have part of their run covered and I put down a generous amount of straw so they can have their feet dry when need be; especially if it is particularly cold.

Help-I have suffered a loss recently-have owned/raised laying hens for years-I have raised several types such as Reds, New Hampshires, Buffs and recently Barred Rocks. I also have 2 Golden Lace, well had 2, one was killed last week during daylight hours-I found her the next morning after a long sleepless night and several hours of searching. My 7 hens are in the run all day, but when I get home from work I let them out to free range in with my horses, they typically go on the front lawn of course, and I found my dead hen on the lawn the next morning. She was basically gutted, and de-feathered on the underbelly. I am so upset I don't dare let them out again. I have 2 hounds in the neighborhood who have known these birds from chick stage and have always left them alone-could one of them played with the hen and killed it? Any feedback is appreciated-I do not live near woods, actually have 15 acres of open pasture, and this bird was killed in late afternoon, before 5 pm when I call them in and count them.

So sorry for your loss. Try posting you question in the Predator & Pest section. You will get a better response.

Just like my children, the chickens and other animals need to leap about during the day too. I open the barn door and encourage everyone to go out during the day. The chickens have their own entrance into the roost during the day so if need be (hunger, thirst, egg-laying, whatnot) the girls are free to come and go as they fancy.
I think free-ranging is great, snow or no snow.

the usual suspect in guttin a chicken is a oppsum. best way to get rid off em is to spread agriculutre lime around but not where your animals roam . just saying from experience. sorry for the loss

My girls, born in May, weren't too sure of the snow at first. One stopped short at the door of the coop the first time she saw it, as if to tell the others to stay in. The day after that, they didn't seem to care so much. It's been a month since they've seen any here in central Pennsylvania, they might forget what it is!

Back
Top Bottom