Free ranging in snow?

During winter months I change feed so it is made to a large degree of large particulates that hold up better on snow. This is possible since flock is made up largely of mature birds. For layers, the formulated diet is applied as pellets which is supplemented with intact grains like corn, sunflower, oats and millet. Additionally I make certain they have access to edible plant materials (if need be hays). With such a mix of eats greater effort is made to ensure birds have all the grit they need for processing the tougher foods.

They freeze shut without any visible ice. As soon as we get a good frost, they freeze. I don't bash 'em with the hammer; I use the claw end to pry the door open. I can't open windows if I can't open the door and the windows aren't power windows. With the hatch, I can put a good deal of muscle into and lift it. I'm buying a car from my brother and just might use this car as my new coop! LOL! Thanks to whoever posted about vaseline on the combs; great idea. I think I'm starting to get a better idea about wintering chickens but forgive my stupid questions. For example, do you open the coop to feed them and give them the option to go out and leave the coop door open? Maybe I could incorporate a weather resistant run for them into my coop plans. Hmmmm.......
My chickens rarely ever go out in the snow, but I always leave their door open all day so they still have the option to go out. I go out about every 2 hours to check on them in the winter, because I live right by the woods so I worry about critters getting in the coop in the winter. Just make sure you never forget to close the door at night. We had a problem with a Fisher a few years back and it was killing one hen every day. It would climb right through the door of the coop.
he.gif
So if you've ever had problems with critters just make sure and check on your chickens every few hours. We've always seemed to get more critters in the winter than any other time of the year.
hmm.png

Last edited:
Our coop door automatically opens from 10:30 -4pm (this time of year) and the temps get down to 30 below with wild (70mph winds). The girls want to go outside no matter how cold or windy it is --UNTIL there is more than a couple inches of snow. Even on a "balmy" 20F day, they stay in their coop. When I toss them out they hop and limp around for a minute trying to balance on one leg, and quickly climb back in the coop.
D.gif

IMO, it all depends on what breeds you own. Heavy American and Asiatic fare better in the cold than the lighter Mediterranean, game, or Asiatic breeds. I had a Leghorn hen that did o.k. her first year, but didn't make it the second year. I strongly suspect that the sudden end (or pause, I should say) to our Indian summer here in CT, and her late molting cycle is what did her in. I remember she would always fly over the snow, rather than walk on it. Even my bantam Serama roo did better than her, and he's only a yearling, and a breed that is known to do poorly in cold whether. He's is actually faring quite well in the cold, all things considered, but still mourns the loss of his favorite hen, Britney. My turkeys, esp. my boss Tom Midget White, are doing very well indeed, and have put on a lot of weight to cope with the cold. My large brahma and Jersey Giant are fine, so are the americana/EE's. Just the leghorn had a bad time of it, poor thing was never anything other than skin, bones, and a couple feathers. She did lay like a champ though.

Last edited:
IMO, it all depends on what breeds you own. Heavy American and Asiatic fare better in the cold than the lighter Mediterranean, game, or Asiatic breeds. I had a Leghorn hen that did o.k. her first year, but didn't make it the second year. I strongly suspect that the sudden end (or pause, I should say) to our Indian summer here in CT, and her late molting cycle is what did her in. I remember she would always fly over the snow, rather than walk on it. Even my bantam Serama roo did better than her, and he's only a yearling, and a breed that is known to do poorly in cold whether. He's is actually faring quite well in the cold, all things considered, but still mourns the loss of his favorite hen, Britney. My turkeys, esp. my boss Tom Midget White, are doing very well indeed, and have put on a lot of weight to cope with the cold. My large brahma and Jersey Giant are fine, so are the americana/EE's. Just the leghorn had a bad time of it, poor thing was never anything other than skin, bones, and a couple feathers. She did lay like a champ though.
American Games are as tough as any if not more so when it comes to tolerance of free-range conditions involving snow. They can actually fly over snow that heavier breeds find extreme difficulty walking through. They are also very savy about locating and acquiring food. Do not under estimate the insulatory value of feathers that have not been degraded as part of compromise in selection for looks that production breeds have suffered.

One of my EE does not want to go in the snow. My son took her out of the coop yesterday, and she still didn't want to come out again today. Once she is out, she's just fine. She sits in the coop and cries when everyone else leaves. She's my (lovingly so) ding bat!

Once she is out, she's just fine. She sits in the coop and cries when everyone else leaves.

Can she see the other birds in the snow from the coop? The only times I've seen my girls "cry" is when they figure out everyone else left while they weren't paying attention. Then they make the "panic dash" toward the barn. Things are magically OK again once at least one other girl is in sight.

If she can see them, I think her nickname needs to be "Drama Queen".

Bruce

Back
Top Bottom