Free ranging in snow?

You'll need a good shovel. They like paths. They do not like deep snow at all. :)

After watching one of my girls "step, sink, step, sink" in a couple of inches of snow last week, I was thinking we need chicken snow shoes
big_smile.png
Yes, a nice shoveled "walk" is good. Mine don't mind the snow, they mind the "I sink down with every step" snow.

I don't know about you, but we just got a significant amount of snow. Not that I'm a big fan of the white stuff, you understand, but it gives me a good idea of how to plan for next winter with the flock. The fishing line is a great idea but I have to mow a pretty large backyard and would most likely choke my darn self to death on fishing line! However, I just had a thought. I can enclose a good portion of it for them to roam; they can do their own mowing! On the weekends when I'm home, I can let them have the run of the whole yard.
If you would be so kind, can you give me an idea of how you tend them each day? For example, what time do you get up to go out and let them out and/or feed them? Do you gather eggs at that time? In this kind of weather, do you leave the coop door open for them to go out if they want to? I work all day and can certainly clear them a path in the snow; I just wouldn't want to leave the door open and have them get too cold. Sorry for all the questions but I need all the wisdom of others I can get!

Thanks, Bruce

Mimi

Hard to say how much snow fell and how much blew
wink.png
I had it all cleared out but it is all filled in again. Probably about a foot I guess. Time to replace that sheer bolt in the blower and get to work. The fishing line thing is run horizontally above head height if over a designed run. I have seen posts from people who had poles (trees?) in a large "run" area and ran the fishing line from the top of the poles to the top of the fence posts. Sort of like a circus tent without fabric. Wouldn't keep everything that flies out, but would be a deterrent and possibly hang up a hawk long enough for the chickens to get under cover. As far as them getting too cold, probably won't happen as long as they aren't in the wind.

Our chicken's coop is a converted 9.5'x12'x7' high horse stall half way down the alley in the lower part of a very old bank barn. The lower part is the "new" part, probably only 80 or 90 years old. The nipple water pipe is on the left, it will be referenced again further down. The hanging pipe is their feeder and it always has food in it. I'm using layer "crumblets" which I gather are basically pellets only smaller. The front of the coop above the walls is only wire both sides of the door. There is about a foot open at the top of the sides that has no clear plastic covering (winter only) and the ceiling is open between the joists for the floor above. This is for ventilation and as the roosts are 4' high, there should be no breeze blowing over them. There is 1/2" hardware cloth on the floor (to keep the voles and ERMINES! out), as well as the "ceiling" and all other openings.

I hinged the chicken door (made from a double pane window "insert" that was in the barn, unused) from the bottom so the little 4 week old chickens wouldn't have to get up over the 1x6 keeping the deep litter in. Don't do this, chickens poop EVERYWHERE. They couldn't see out their chicken door and it is now hinged on the side. If I get more little ones, I'll get them a "step stool".

There are currently no other animals (at least not ones WE put in there, we do have chipmunks and voles). I put a gate across the alley to the outside wall from one corner of the coop and rolled out some 2x4 4' welded wire fence to the wall from the other corner (too cheap to cut it off since this is long term temporary). This is their indoor run with a ladder to the outdoor run via the 6 pane window that was missing a pane. Very convenient chicken door opening
smile.png
I put hinges on a piece of plywood as a door.

Come to find out a 4' fence keeps a chicken exactly where IT wants to be. I put the wood across the top of the chicken wire on the gate because they WERE landing on it and flattening it down. I was afraid they might get their toes caught in and hurt themselves. So I then got:

Zia (Ancona) Peep and Fae the Cubalayas

Thus, they have an 8'x12' indoor run that doesn't keep them in unless that is where they want to be
hmm.png
I've been told if you put string trimmer line a few inches above the fence, they won't go over because they want to get to the top in one hop/fly and then jump down. Haven't tried it, wouldn't work with the Cubalayas anyway, they are flyers and 4' is like 2' to you and me. Thus, they have an 8'x12' indoor run that doesn't keep them in unless that is where they want to be
hmm.png
I don't think the girls generally go over the welded wire though, probably that "can't land on it" thing.

Their day (as far as WE control it) generally begins around 8:30 or 9 this time of year when someone goes out and opens the people door. Sometimes we open the chicken door as well but they don't need it as we leave the people door open for more daytime ventilation. The nipples in the water pipe froze a couple of weeks ago when it was down below 10F (don't know what temp they actually froze) so we've been bringing warm water out in their brooder waterer. They really seem to like it as they all come running out of the coop to get to it so we've been doing it even when it isn't cold enough to freeze the nipples. They all know how to use the nipples and do so other times of the day. Maybe this is their morning "hot tea". That white thing on the ground is the first egg we got before I finished the nest box.

So I made this "radiant floor/nipple waterer" nest box and put the water pipe in it. You can read details here https://www.backyardchickens.com/t/728396/freeze-proof-automatic-watering-system/10#post_10149098

The water is pumped to the pipe from the orange container you can just see on behind the wall. It has a 250W stock tank heater in it and as measured yesterday is 55F. Of course, I have no idea what temps this will handle before the nipples freeze anyway
hu.gif
The plan is the girls would lay in this box and the eggs would be less likely to freeze before we get to them being somewhat warmed from below. Several of the girls still prefer the original enclosed community box though.

These are the people and chicken doors at the end of the barn alley (opposite end from the inside pictures). To specifically answer your question, if someone is home at least the chicken door is open. If the weather is good (not snowing heavily or blowing and especially if the sun is out) the people door is left open as this is the south end of the barn. No direct light into the barn until well past noon otherwise. So the girls can choose to stay in the barn or not, as they please. We've not had any daytime predators YET and hopefully we WON'T and they have yet to find out for themselves "Why did the chicken cross the road?". They have plenty of roaming space without going there. If we aren't home, the barn doors are closed and they just go (and "go" if you get my drift) wherever they want in the lower part of the barn. Tough life for those chickens! Any vegan can be assured an egg coming out of these girls is NOT the result of cruel inhumane (inchickene?) treatment.

They put themselves to bed as it gets dark. If I get there first, I'll toss some scratch on the coop floor. They like it and it gets them in if I don't want to wait for THEM to decide it is bed time
wink.png

I made this outdoor run and they used it when they were younger and we weren't letting them roam the barn. As you can see, they were outside the run, but that is because we opened the "gate". The sun shade thing is now a mess because the wind lifted it off the side of the barn (it was not nailed in). If we decide we can't let them run loose, or want them to be able to be outside but safe and enclosed, I'll have to make a serious out door run with real walls and aerial predator protection.

Bruce

We have about a foot of snow on the ground here in Pennsylvania. Opened the coop door, they all jumped up on the roost as if to say"Are you kidding!?" I managed to keep a 6x8' area of the run snow free so they are hanging out in there.

Today the kids have given up trying to scratch around as a bad cause. There is maybe four or five inches of snow on the ground and no bare spots to speak of so outside of walking down the path to the sliding door to see if they can get a handout and hopping into the dry bed of my Gardenways cart they are spending much of the day in the dry area under the covered run of the coop. It is a bit small but combined with the coop itself give the brats plenty of room to do important chicken things. All of us are looking for the path to get to Spring.

It snowed here today in my part of Pa. I usually let them out at noon since I have a few who like to hide their eggs. Nobody wanted to come out today. I did have to break ice in their rubber water dish. I plan to go out later to feed them and give them fresh water.

It is great to see other chickens playing in the snow. All my local friends think my chickens are crazy. We have just over 1 foot of snow and my chickens run out of the run everyday when we open the door. We let them free range from 9AM till dark which is about 5PM here now. We have the light turn on at 4AM so I guess they are really bored by time my kids let them out by 9AM. Even with free ranging what they can through the snow and eating scraps we are still going through 3x more feed then we did in the summer/fall.

I think I mentioned we had been having some terrible feed waste using a gravity feeder set up on a wooden block. So we have been experimenting with some different idea, ration feeding, trough feeders, etc. This morning, my chickens acted like they were starving! One of our hen turkeys was so aggresive over the food she kept biting (yes, biting, with her bill, and holding on!) any of the chicken that got near her and swinging them around like they were a rag doll.

Soooo, I am just not comfortable with the ration feeding... so we hung up my Mom's old metal gravity feeder, very high off the ground! The chicken have kindof a stretch to eat, and the turkeys will not be able to scratch it out at all. We did set a wooden block next to it so the littler chickens can eat also, and we went back to free-feeding. We will see how it goes. I prefer to free-feed than ration feed, but we have to figure out how to control waste and we are hoping this new setup will give us what we are looking for.

Other than that, chickens still very happy to come out in the morning, even in new snow or when it is snowing. It just doesn't seem to bother them at all and they run around all over the barn-yard all day. They are not wandering as far as before the snow, but do stick pretty close to the coop, sheds and barn.

I am in snowy MN and I let mine choose, but only 2/3 will go out, and then only for a short time. My third, a silver-laced wyandotte, went out into the snow once and had (unfortunately) a clump of snow dropped on her from a tree, and she has not come out of the run since. Chicken!

If you have a relatively small number of birds, then feed incorporated int a feeding black may reduce waste. Birds have to work harder for food allowing more time for actual consumption between pecks. Also placing block where they have to work to get to it helps. I like to use pellets when waste is likely since larger particulates more apt to be picked up by birds.

Back
Top Bottom