Free ranging in snow?

The feathery ones seem to be somewhat accepting of the snow now that they've been in it for a while, they don't like it but can walk in it to get from the coop to more interesting places like the front porch. (but only in the paths that I've provided) The cold weather seems to be not affecting them all that much, we got down to zero yesterday and they are all fine, Kiwi, my EE that stopped laying when the weather turned cold, suddenly gifted me with a beautiful blue egg today!

The feathery ones have been confined to their coop and the attached run. They really want to roam around but with total snow cover there is nothing to scratch at so they very carefully followed all the assorted paths that I've shoveled for various reasons to the road! This is the first time they have ever ventured into the road, a rather busy one at that, and with all the snow banks now is not the time for them to be dodging cars and trucks traveling at fifty mph. As soon as there is something other than snow showing they will be allowed back out.

So, my chickens are totally accustomed to the snow now. However, they search for places where they can scratch up the dirt and even loosened up enough under their coop and under our boat, to take a few dust baths! We are heading into a thaw this week. I understand it is very hot right now in Australia. Wonder how the chickens are handling it. (I suppose it is even hard for the humans). Do they stop laying when the weather is so extreme? I bought some dried meal worms for them today. Gross me out, but I can see they love them. Even the clerk in the store was grossed out when I pointed out what was in the bag she was holding. I should head over to the bait shop and get them some live ones. I suppose they would like them even better, right? No more shell-free eggs out there today, but I only got a total of 2 eggs today, which is half of what I have been getting from my 6 hens. Tomorrow is another day. I actually have started giving away eggs, since we can't eat all of them.

Ours are also unbothered by the snow.. until today - we got 8 inches of new snow overnight! Some were a little reluctant to come out of the coop into it this morning, and the ones that did seemed genuinely disgusted with having to wade through it LOL. I will try and get pictures later this afternoon.

Here is one of our Broad Breasted White hen "Crazy Cranberry" (CC for short), BEFORE the snowstorm last night

Their main area in front of the coop and the old shed is packed down very well. BOSS is easy to see in the snow!

We have been having some very cold weather (single digits at night, low twenties during the day).

Certain chickens (like this Salmon Faverolle, and our Light Brahma) seem more reluctant to come out of the coop than the rest.

Here are some pics from today. I tried to get pictures when we were headed out to the chicken house, the chicken were plowing through the deep snow to come greet us! Literally pushing the snow with their chests! My camera malfunctioned and wouldn't take a pic unil I had could take the memory card out and fiddle with it... but it was sure a sight to see!

CC in the same spot as the previous picture of her, you can see how much more snow there is,
and this where my son just walked around so the snow is not as deep as the undesturbed areas.

Even more chickens are reluctant to come out today! I don't blame them,
the wind is blowing and it is COLD!

Until I threw out some BOSS and scratch!

This is the area in front of the chicken house and old shed. The chickens (and us)
keep it pretty well packed down so they have easy access to the shed. They also
go under the chicken house to dust bath (and come out looking filthy!)

And finally, chickens using the goat path to the barn. Mostly our older hens go to
the barn, I have not seen many of the younger hens go out there yet, though we did
find a nest of eggs from our two young leghorns - 15 beautiful white eggs - all frozen
and cracked!

Great pictures! Thanks for posting them! Our snow is melting and they are loving being able to scratch around along the driveway and at the base of trees. So cute and funny to watch. I was thinking about those frozen and cracked eggs you mentioned. I have had a couple like that, but wasn't sure if the crack was due to freezing or some sort of "trauma."
hmm.png
Since I am new to chickens, I was wondering it it's OK for an egg to freeze, as long as it doesn't crack. Some of ours have been SO COLD when we brought them in and I just washed them and put them into the frig. No way of knowing if they are frozen. I would appreciate any input in this. \
I also wondered why my Buff Orpington, Charlotte, was so noisy today. I have never heard any of them making such a racket. She was alone in the coop and would make a few small "chirps" followed by a very loud squawk. She kept repeating this and came outside to join the others, still making this racket. Wish I understood chicken talk.

I don't know about chicken talk maybe she was complaining about all the snow, I know I would, and yes you can freeze eggs, cooked or uncooked, but I would recommend removing them from the shell first.

I am not trying to freeze eggs, just wondering if they're OK if frozen when brought in from the coop. How could I tell anyway, if they don't crack?

I am not trying to freeze eggs, just wondering if they're OK if frozen when brought in from the coop. How could I tell anyway, if they don't crack?

There is a thread somewhere related to freezing eggs and yes, you can apparently freeze them whole.

If they've been in the fridge for a while, they are probably thawed anyway. I can't think of any reason you can't use them, nothing dangerous. Probably would not start experimenting with a delicate dish first though, maybe hard boiling and if they were OK for than work up to scrambled.
big_smile.png
If they crack like eggs and look like eggs, they are eggs!

Bruce

Our girls like to come out and go along the paths shoveled for them. They pick and dig for greenery. Today they went down to the river to pick among the leaves revealed from the melting snow...they love to explore and the snow is not so troublesome for them.Their footprints in the snow travel not as far as in the summer, but they do venture out and about. Worse is the -20C weather days, and the northeast winds. They will not leave cover on those days. They stop in their spot when an eagle flies overhead, and run for cover once they feel safe to do so. They still love to dig and make their dirt baths in their covered run. In addition to their regular feed, we give them hot porridge in the morning, and extra carbs in the form of seeds barley, oats, and corn, plain greek yogurt, and fresh grapes.
On the colder and windier days we have to give them fresh warm water every two hours as it freezes. They are laying an egg each, every two days. Not bad for winter slowdown. The eggs are so good tasting! :p They are such a source of enjoyment.

Back
Top Bottom