Freedom Ranger backyard broilers - feed amount, feed conversion and growth

I just want to say thank you so very much for taking the time to document research and compile for others. It is such a blessing what you did.

what a great post! I was calculating what it would cost with organic feed and it came out to $8 a chicken, a little steep... hmmmmm I wonder what it would come out to with fermented feed!

Me, too! I am going to see what else I can do in addition to fermenting feed or sprouting part of it along with foraging. I can purchase non-soy organic chickens from nearby amish for 3.50$/lb. My pastured organic birds need to be more affordable than that!

No, but our area flooded pretty badly. We have tons of washout damage and trees down. We think they died of drowning or heart attacks from all the noise. We tried keeping heat lamps going but kept loosing power. This sucks

No, but our area flooded pretty badly. We have tons of washout damage and trees down. We think they died of drowning or heart attacks from all the noise. We tried keeping heat lamps going but kept loosing power. This sucks

Also in Texas here, lost exactly half my Ranger flock (19 birds) to the storms as well. 11 were all in one night when a flash flood washed under our tractor, the remaining 8 fell ill and died over the next few days. We're processing tomorrow and what's left isn't as large as they should be but I'm taking advantage of the fact that all the remaining birds are finally healthy and lively again. We're going to try another batch in the fall and hope the weather isn't ridiculous by that time.

What happened with your remaining female rangers? How was their egg laying? Did you still have them?

Well they don't breed true and have the exact same genotypical offspring as the parents but they still will breed and produce offspring a lot like them... At the end of the day they have a lot of great laying genes into them and they do lay a ton of giant eggs though

Back
Top Bottom