Freedom Ranger backyard broilers - feed amount, feed conversion and growth

Meghan I'm hoping you are still on the forum. We have just started raising the red rangers and have just harvested the first batch of them at 11 weeks. Some were a little on the small side at not quite 3 lbs. We have received some comments about how tough the meat around the legs was? have read that it was because we didn't let the meat rest or age, but it didn't say for how long. What is your thought on this? Do you let your meat age a bit? how long before we freeze? We appreciate any help given, thanks Katherine

Hi Katherine,
No, we never had issues with tough meat around the legs. Our birds were quite tender. As for letting the meat rest or age, we did - I believe just one day. After processing the chickens we cooled them in an ice bath (ice water in a cooler) then "stood" them up on baker's cooling racks to drain the excess water. Then we bagged them and put them in the fridge over night. We didn't tie the bags shut or anything, just loosely twisted the tops, and I stood the birds up again so more water could drain off if possible. Letting them rest overnight like that lets their muscles go all the way through rigor mortis to relaxation again. I had read somewhere (can't remember where at this point) that if you cut the bird up while it's still in rigor mortis the muscles won't ever relax all the way. I don't know if that's true or not, but it worked for us because after killing and cleaning all those birds in one day, we weren't up for cutting them and vacuum sealing them until the next day.

Good luck!
Megan

Thanks for the info.

So they did lay long enough for you to hatch out some chicks from them ?

I'm thinking about keeping some hens back crossing them with my dark Cornish rooster then when the chicks have hatched process the mothers,

what do you think ?

I'm still learning about raising chickens and have found this really interesting so thanks to the OP and everyone who's commented :) BYC is definitely the best poultry forum site I've found.
One question though, I'm in Australia and haven't come across the Freedom Rangers you are discussing, I've only found hatcheries listing 'Meat chickens' but haven't been able to find any further information about the breeds. Do you think the same feeding regime would work for these? At least for a starting point?

Thanks for the info.

So they did lay long enough for you to hatch out some chicks from them ?

I'm thinking about keeping some hens back crossing them with my dark Cornish rooster then when the chicks have hatched process the mothers,

what do you think ?

I didn't keep any roosters, so no chance for fertilized eggs!

I'm still learning about raising chickens and have found this really interesting so thanks to the OP and everyone who's commented
smile.png
BYC is definitely the best poultry forum site I've found.
One question though, I'm in Australia and haven't come across the Freedom Rangers you are discussing, I've only found hatcheries listing 'Meat chickens' but haven't been able to find any further information about the breeds. Do you think the same feeding regime would work for these? At least for a starting point?

I don't see why not! Just pay attention to their behavior (although they are always hungry...) and weight gain! In the U.S. this cross-breed (or something extremely similar) is also called a red ranger.

I realize that this is an old feed, but I was hoping you might see my post. First I'd like to reiterate that your post was very helpful! I utilized your calculations for my two flocks of young red broilers. My first group of 10 is 4 weeks old- based on the amounts you posted, I calculated needing to feed the 10 1/4 lb/day during week 4. To my surprise when I weighed out my food, I realized that they had been eating 3x this amount while they were free feeding their first 3 weeks. I was hoping you might be able to tell me that either: yes, I did my calculations correctly and they were eating too much during their first weeks; or no, I did not do my calculations correctly I should recalculate.
I am feeding an organic, whole grain feed that I have been fermenting. Thank you! Jamie

I realize that this is an old feed, but I was hoping you might see my post. First I'd like to reiterate that your post was very helpful! I utilized your calculations for my two flocks of young red broilers. My first group of 10 is 4 weeks old- based on the amounts you posted, I calculated needing to feed the 10 1/4 lb/day during week 4. To my surprise when I weighed out my food, I realized that they had been eating 3x this amount while they were free feeding their first 3 weeks. I was hoping you might be able to tell me that either: yes, I did my calculations correctly and they were eating too much during their first weeks; or no, I did not do my calculations correctly I should recalculate.
I am feeding an organic, whole grain feed that I have been fermenting. Thank you! Jamie
oops, I just realized I read my calculations incorrectly...I calculated 1.4 lbs/day. Much better, ha!

Back
Top Bottom