freezing eggs???

Unless your sure of the cleanliness of its environs, I'd be cautious. That siad, cooking to 165 will kill many germs, but not all. Some of our most feared germs can survive that temp. I myself would not eat cracked eggs from the hen house, I know what those sweet girls do in there, and their digestive bacteria are not our friend.

I would not either, but if you home freeze and they crack, or freeze in the coop and don't crack, I would eat it. Like I said, they were a little watery, but apart from that they were fine. It's a good way to store eggs for baking etc. I suspect our freezer was too cold for the eggs, that's why they cracked so bad
hmm.png
So I would recommend freezing them in a container.

I'm with Sumi, I would feel no qualms about eggs that cracked in my own freezer (and I'm thinking many will - egg whites have lots of water to expand) or I found frozen but not cracked in my hen house.
I'd not put unwashed eggs in freezer, more likely for bacteria to get inside while thawing.
I don't put unwashed eggs in fridge either, just to keep it clean in there.
They are either on the counter... or if filthy, they get washed and go into fridge and eaten soonest.

@sumi Great experiment with cooking the frozen in shell eggs!

@Marty1876 Great chemistry lesson!

Using supplemental lighting so am usually not short on eggs in winter and have more customers with summer folk(tourist belt here) during the peak laying season.
I have frozen some, and may do more in the future, I sure did glean some great tips from this thread!

And they will know they are washed how? I understand what you are saying, but they will look the same either way. Some wash with dish soap or dip in bleach, yuck! That is why I don't buy eggs in the store.

They will know whether or not you've washed the eggs when their lawyer asks you in court. But I guess you could lie if you think that's the right thing to do. There are many safe and natural washes to use. I use produce wash, which is very effective and food safe, during the rare times that I wash eggs.

Last edited:
No worries, I don't sell eggs anyway. Just can't believe how complicated this forum makes everything. To each his own. I only read this forum for amusement anymore.

No worries, I don't sell eggs anyway.  Just can't believe how complicated this forum makes everything.  To each his own.  I only read this forum for amusement anymore. 

I think Sydney was just answering your q's, forum only became complicated as you make them. Take infos that will help you leave what doesn't. That's what makes it great lots of people with different ideas, experiences and wisdoms. I'm only 22 and am so willing to hear from people when I travel with my job, then use what I needed.

Last edited:
I didn't ask any questions, just wanted to know how someone could tell if I washed my eggs, because I sure couldn't! My eggs are clean without washing. If I had to be worried about being dragged into court, I wouldn't sell. What happens when you wash them & your customers still get sick & take you to court??? Such amusement here everyday.

I think if I were to sell eggs, I would simply conform to regulations depending on my location.
Minimizes litigation.

Best long term storage, don't wash and refrigerate.

European standards, don't wash and don't refrigerate.

USA standards, wash and refrigerate.

Personally, they sit in the laundry room, wash before gifting. I don't sell...I gift all within 2 weeks, or hard boil for the dog.

Even washing eggs might not do much good if litigation is someone's goal....you washed 'em, but not good enough....you knew they were contaminated, blahblahblah.

I think if I were to sell eggs, I would simply conform to regulations depending on my location.
Minimizes litigation.

Best long term storage, don't wash and refrigerate.

European standards, don't wash and don't refrigerate.

USA standards, wash and refrigerate.

Personally, they sit in the laundry room, wash before gifting. I don't sell...I gift all within 2 weeks, or hard boil for the dog.

Simple, direct, and to the point. Love it!

Back
Top Bottom