freezing eggs???

LOL @ Sumi! I have found eggs to get quite rubbery when frozen, and the shells do crack. I have a heat lamp in my coop in a feeble attempt to keep the coop above freezing & collect a few times a day. I never knew you could intentionally freeze eggs. Maybe if scrambled? Definitely feed your broken, frozen, compost eggs back to the chickens! My whole coop goes into frenzy over all treats, but the eggs are really good for them. Now what about boiling eggs? Probably a thread for that... But I've tried everything and still have badly peeled eggs!
If you use fresh eggs they are harder to peel when hardboiled. The older eggs (as long as they are still good) make much better hard boiled eggs.
smile.png

I had the same issue with badly peeled eggs. If the eggs are fresh, leave them out on the counter for a day before boiling/steaming them. I've been steaming the eggs, and its worked great. Then put the eggs straight into water with ice cubes. You will have perfectly peeled eggs!
smile.png

I think some of my eggs have been freezing but not enough to crack the shells. Also for hard boiled eggs I bought an egg cooker that steams the eggs then I throw them in an ice bath and once cooled the shells come off easy.

This freezing egg talks reminded of a funny story a friend of mine told me years ago. She mistakenly put the eggs in the freezer, instead of the fridge. But she admitted she knew nothing about food and cooking and storing food etc. One day she had a new BF come round to visit and she decided to cook him some eggs. And found the eggs frozen solid. That didn't deter her. She somehow managed to get the shells off and dropped them in the frying pan and spooned hot oil over them, trying to thaw them and cook them. That didn't work very well... For some reason she decided to feed them to the BF like that, cooked slightly round the outside and still quite frozen inside. And sat and watched the poor guy trying to eat them and probably wondering why the eggs kept scooting off the plate when he tried to cut them!

Believe it or not she ended up marrying this guy, but I guess it's safe to say he didn't marry her for her cooking skills!
lau.gif
gig.gif
Sounds like something my oldest sister would do!

I freeze mine using muffin tins. I break one egg into one muffin spot. I personally just leave them in the muffin tin long enough to freeze, then dump them into a jar or freezer bag. I recommend spraying the tin first for this reason. I found that ice cube trays were too small to hold one egg per square so muffin tins are the pperfect solution for me. Makes it easy-peasy to use the correct amount in baking.

For those wondering how to boil the eggs and have them peel easier.

Place eggs in a pot with about 1/4 inch water covering them, add 2 table spoons of vinegar. (works for about a dozen eggs)
Bring the water to a boil with the eggs in it, after it reaches boiling turn heat off, cover the pot, and let sit 20min.

was just reading this post today. Tonight I went out to get eggs and found that one of my hens had been laying eggs way up in the rafters ( they occasionally do this, but we can usually see them ) and was hidden behind a ledge. I found 12 eggs up there!!!!!!!!!! dang chicken!!!!

For those wondering how to boil the eggs and have them peel easier.

Place eggs in a pot with about 1/4 inch water covering them, add 2 table spoons of vinegar. (works for about a dozen eggs)
Bring the water to a boil with the eggs in it, after it reaches boiling turn heat off, cover the pot, and let sit 20min.
Thank you.
Janelle18, I keep worrying my girls will try that.

I read tip for boiling eggs the other day that I haven't tried yet, but I'm going to: before you boil the eggs, especially older ones with large air sacks, make a small hole in the shell on the fat end of the eggs. When the egg cooks the contents expand, so you should have a perfectly shaped egg without the "dimple" where the air sack is.

I accidentally cracked some eggs I was boiling and some of the yolk escaped while it was cooking. Must say it made peeling the egg easier, but the best bit was when I cut it open lengthwise and found the combination of pressure and the yolk escaping pulled/pushed the yolk into a really nice heart shape! I have tried to do this again, but I haven't figured out where the crack must go and how big it needs to be to get this effect. If I do I'll let you all know. Could be a nice touch for your valentine's breakfast
wink.png

I had more eggs than I could use this summer so I froze some of the extras. I cracked 3 at a time into a bowl, whipped them with a fork & poured into small freezer containers. I was able to use them for scrambled eggs and baking this winter once the girls slowed down.

Back
Top Bottom