freezing eggs???

Can't wait to try the heart shaped eggs! I've never heard of that before! In addition to freezing the extra eggs (the whisking method, in large ice cube trays), my husband also experimented with dehyrading the eggs this winter. We have a large food dehydrator, and he lightly beat the eggs in a bowl, then poured them onto the plastic mat you use to make fruit rollups. The end result is not very pretty, since the eggs basically turn into a powder, but they work really well for backpacking/camping. You just add water. He said it reminds him of his army days..... We dehydrated a bunch, vacuum sealed them, and put them in our "earthquake cubby" of emergency food supplies.

HI! I had to chime in here after reading your "hard to peel" issue. I've gone through that a number of times too. I've been told fresh eggs do that... but if you boil them with salt or baking soda it helps solidify the shells and helps separate them from the inside film. I gave up this Christmas and store bought a 18pk 2 wks early so I wouldn't waste my treasures. I got tired of tearing up my freshies.

Can't wait to try the heart shaped eggs! I've never heard of that before! In addition to freezing the extra eggs (the whisking method, in large ice cube trays), my husband also experimented with dehyrading the eggs this winter. We have a large food dehydrator, and he lightly beat the eggs in a bowl, then poured them onto the plastic mat you use to make fruit rollups. The end result is not very pretty, since the eggs basically turn into a powder, but they work really well for backpacking/camping. You just add water. He said it reminds him of his army days..... We dehydrated a bunch, vacuum sealed them, and put them in our "earthquake cubby" of emergency food supplies.
Saw on TV a couple of years ago how they did that on an industrial level it was very interesting.....

The first time I put our eggs into the fridge (in the little egg shaped holders already in it) they all froze and had cracked open leaving a mess of the egg holder. I gathered it was because that spot is right under the freezer and was too cold for them!

I thought it must have been a bad idea to ever freeze an egg for that reason!

I tend to just give eggs away if we have too many for us, and keep ours on the bench and try use them within a week.

What a great idea! I never knew you could freeze eggs for re-use. I spent several/many years in the Navy, mostly on small and smaller ships. Those size ships spend a LOT of time going up and down and back and forth, as you might imagine. We would get huge flats of fresh eggs when we were in port, but after a few days of the [see above...the up and down and back and forth stuff] they...well...they went flat. As in FLAT! The guy in the galley would break one on the griddle and it would run maybe a foot to one side when the ship rolled that way, then maybe a foot to the other side when it rolled the other way, then he would put his spatula on one end and roll it up into a nice taquito-shaped breakfast egg! I never turned one down, especially with hot sauce, but maybe freezing them would have been a better way to keep them around!
cool.png

I've been thinking: I got a small pile of eggs sitting on the counter, because I'm one of those silly people who love having hens, but don't love eating eggs LOL I was going to boil the eggs and feed them back to the hens, but I decided I'm going to freeze some, in the shell, to see what happens. I'm going to boil some of them and fry some (after defrosting them first
wink.png
) and I'll take pics and tell you what they were like after thawing them.

I put 4 in the freezer this morning. 2 of yesterday's fresh laid and 2 older ones that's been sitting in the kitchen for awhile (longer than a week). I'm going to take them out to thaw before I go to bed tonight and cook them tomorrow morning. I'll let you know the results.

I won't tell you your chickens will love you more if you do this, (hard to know how much thinking their reptilian brains are capable of) but they'd probably enjoy eating those compost eggs! The protein and calcium is good for them. Just chop them fine so they don't recognize them as the eggs they just laid; don't want to give them any ideas...

That's kinda my idea, didn't want to give them ideas and the pain of defrosting then mixing one or two cracked eggs at a time. As for tossing to compost it's all good, eggs are the only protein substance that is allowed there. It doesn't stick around in compost long so doesn't attract animals or flies but is a cheap to me compost additive with calcium and mass of protein.

Like Frostbite... I live in the northern part of the county where its below zero for months on end. I try to gather three times a day so I don't get too many frozen eggs. Ones that are frozen, but not cracked, I thaw, then blend for scrabbled eggs or baking. Frozen and cracked eggs are feed to the dogs as a frozen treat. I don't compose eggs as that will attack unwanted guests. And I don't want my hen learning that whole eggs are good to egg. Once educated to cracking open eggs, they will continue to do so. Never feed whole eggs or shells back to your hens. Make sure you mash eggs or shells prior to feeding.

Back
Top Bottom