Freezing temps - should I keep chickens in coop?

Here's mine today! 10-15 degrees Fahrenheit, max.

Outside all day!

Ours are just the same here in Norway where it can go 25 deg. C below. They are out of the pop hole as soon as it opens and prefer hanging out in the garden close to the house wall (admittedly looking pretty fed up) rather than staying in the run.

This years 'noobs' went bananas the first time it snowed and started to eat it lol!

Agree though that you need to clear a bit of an area, they are not too keen on walking on the deep stuff but then it is pretty powdery up here.

Welcome to Backyard Chickens! Wow, that sounds ridiculously cold. I certainly wouldn't fare well, so I'm glad chickens are hardier than I am. :)

I open and close the door and let the chickens figure out what they want to do.

So far the only weather they seem concerned with is rain, they hide under the coop, or high winds, they stay in the coop.

Snow, bitter cold, they run around and have a blast.

I don't know, I thought the same thing but a young polish bantam of mine got trompled and stomped by accident when I left them in the coop and I came home and his neck was broken and he died shortly after I found him, I was going to cull him and put him out of his misery but he died in my arms :hit

How sad...I'm sorry you lost one.

Last evening I wrote this big long windy post about the expense of keeping chickens (Sorry to all who tried to mettle through it). After giving my teenaged daughter the big responsibility lecture when it comes to taking care of her chickens, I looked out the window this morning and and saw two hens out of the coop before anyone had braved the cold to let them out. Then suddenly I realized that last night when I made an effort to get the birds in for my daughter while my husband and I where outside in the cold at dusk "tweeking" the chicken pen - both of us walked off and left the little side door to the coop open all night. If the pen into this coop opened were secure, that would be one thing, but it's not. It's a 4 foot high chain link fence surrounding a frame, with no top on it. Two days before my husband eliminated a opossum he saw out in the middle of the day making its way into the coop for an eggs-over-easy appetizer.

I'm telling you.....it's a God thing. He's kept our chickens alive on more than one occasion, and He has a way of humbling us when we think we'd never make a mistake. I had to apologize to my daughter for leaving the side door open. Fortunately she has a forgiving heart.

RosieinKS

How hilarious! I laughed out loud when I read your post. Hope your tumbling chickens have all recovered and have found their bearings.

RosieinKS

How sad...I'm sorry you lost one.

Last evening I wrote this big long windy post about the expense of keeping chickens (Sorry to all who tried to mettle through it). After giving my teenaged daughter the big responsibility lecture when it comes to taking care of her chickens, I looked out the window this morning and and saw two hens out of the coop before anyone had braved the cold to let them out. Then suddenly I realized that last night when I made an effort to get the birds in for my daughter while my husband and I where outside in the cold at dusk "tweeking" the chicken pen - both of us walked off and left the little side door to the coop open all night. If the pen into this coop opened were secure, that would be one thing, but it's not. It's a 4 foot high chain link fence surrounding a frame, with no top on it. Two days before my husband eliminated a opossum he saw out in the middle of the day making its way into the coop for an eggs-over-easy appetizer.

I'm telling you.....it's a God thing. He's kept our chickens alive on more than one occasion, and He has a way of humbling us when we think we'd never make a mistake. I had to apologize to my daughter for leaving the side door open. Fortunately she has a forgiving heart.

RosieinKS
Amen!

@RogerTheChicken So very sorry for the loss of your bird. Heartbreaking.
sad.png

I have a problem! I have my chickens in a stall in my bank barn. I have a heat lamp on them but not directly. I keep plenty of food out for my 30 chickens and they can go outside but never do, like ever... Ive fixed my water problem, but some chickens are breathing heavy and weird. I had 4 chickens die in the past 3 days. Temperatures are below -10 and no one is getting frostbite (THANKFULLY) but everyone is super skinny! Very few of them are nice and fatty but some are bone! Any ideas?
Also they will only eat cracked corn.... They have been throwing the crumble and pellets on the ground. Ive tried mixing their food but they are too smart for that! xD Help?

Back
Top Bottom