French Black Copper Marans rooster biting

I had a marans cockerel who did that... It's not something I'm going to tolerate, and certainly would not want to breed, so I kept his brother instead.

Good luck!

The trouble is, he is the only FCBM cockerel that I have. I did try carrying him around the run. He hasn't done it again since I've posted the question. A little more time and if he does again, he will have to go.

Happy Thanksgiving!
Maureen
I had a marans cockerel who did that... It's not something I'm going to tolerate, and certainly would not want to breed, so I kept his brother instead.

Good luck!
The trouble is, he is the only FCBM cockerel that I have. I did try carrying him around the run. He hasn't done it again since I've posted the question. A little more time and if he does again, he will have to go.

Happy Thanksgiving!
Maureen

Roosters are easy to come by. Did you get him from a breeder? I'm sure if you went back to that person, he or she would be thrilled to provide you with another one.

Roosters are easy to come by. Did you get him from a breeder? I'm sure if you went back to that person, he or she would be thrilled to provide you with another one.

I actually paid a fair bit of money for him from a very reputable breeder. She had to ship him to me. 1 FBCM rooster and 1 BM rooster plus 2 females of each. The BM roo is not like that. And all the females are very gentle, too. I'm sure I'd have to pay shipping again. I'm going to wait just a little longer and try the carry him tactic. I hate to complain to the breeder. It's hard enough having to ship your birds. Getting complainers is tough. But maybe I'll ask her advice too.

I had such high hopes for this group. He is extremely handsome.
Maureen

In that case you only need to deal with him until breeding season if he doesn't settle down after that the choice is obvious. Cockerels tend to challenge more and will settle down but always better to keep birds that are well behaved through all phases of growth. Even though temperment is hereditary I'm sure you'll hatch enough from him to find a keeper.

When my Roos show aggression it's largely to determine dominance so I hold them to the grown till they stop fighting and that's generally the end of it.. Try feeding out of a scooper though he may just be hungry... If not I'll take him instead of offing him breeder Roos arnt cheap and I understand that

Back
Top Bottom