Frequency of cleaning coop floor

CTratterriers

Songster
9 Years
Jun 9, 2012
Wallingford CT
Just wondering what the frequency of cleaning the coop floor should be. Currently I clean the indoor pen everyday. Should I do this for the coop?

Thank you in advance for all your feed back.

We have coop/run combos. ("coops" sit on top of the runs with a ladder connecting both) I scoop the coops and runs each morning and again before they go to roost. They roam the back lawn for a good bit of the day. -just like a tidy, clean area (which also helps control flies).

We have coop/run combos. ("coops" sit on top of the runs with a ladder connecting both) I scoop the coops and runs each morning and again before they go to roost. They roam the back lawn for a good bit of the day. -just like a tidy, clean area (which also helps control flies).
What is a coop/run comb? I Googled it but nothing comes up.

Thank you.

Just wondering what the frequency of cleaning the coop floor should be. Currently I clean the indoor pen everyday. Should I do this for the coop?

Thank you in advance for all your feed back.

I think the answer to the question would depend on how many chickens you have and the size of the coop. I totally clean/shovel my coop out twice a year. Some people go with once a year. In between I'll add some more pine shavings as the bedding breaks down. Usually the birds keep the bedding properly stirred up, so I don't see any piles of crap sitting in there (No poop boards in my coop, I don't want to have to scrap off a crappy board every day). If I notice they are slacking off on that important job, I will throw a handful of scratch in there to motivate them. That always works.
Jack

I guess it would depend on your type or coop/run. Mine is inside my horses barn which has a concrete floor and I put a peice of linoleum flooring with shavings on top. They are only in at night and when it's raining etc. I strip all the shavings and and sweep the linoleum once per week. If they have been in a lot due to inclement weather perhaps twice a week. I am a little compulsive not only bc they are Cochins and I like to keep their feet clean but also to keep the flys down the the horses and chickens.

Our chickens are in an enclosed pen (Fox proof) we rake the coop floor about once a month....collect the poo for growing veg. - Marianne UK

I think the answer to the question would depend on how many chickens you have and the size of the coop. I totally clean/shovel my coop out twice a year. Some people go with once a year. In between I'll add some more pine shavings as the bedding breaks down. Usually the birds keep the bedding properly stirred up, so I don't see any piles of crap sitting in there (No poop boards in my coop, I don't want to have to scrap off a crappy board every day). If I notice they are slacking off on that important job, I will throw a handful of scratch in there to motivate them. That always works.
Jack
That's exactly what I do, too, JackE. And, for the same reasons
smile.png
. No flies, no smells, no problems, less work
celebrate.gif

Back
Top Bottom