Frequent Sitting & Wobbly Legs

Chickennewbie72

In the Brooder
Jan 8, 2022
I have a black copper maran who free ranges during the day with our flock. Never noticed any problems except occasionally we see her resting under a bush while everyone else is up foraging around her. But this past week I've noticed that it looks like she is sitting down because her legs are unable to hold her up. She seems to be able to run just fine. But sometimes she will walk really slowly one step at a time and pausing between steps like she is trying to get her footing. A few times, it has looked like her legs are shaking. Then she will slowly lower herself to the ground and rest for a few minutes before getting up again. Is this a sickness? Something neurological? Or could it just be some kind of leg injury? We have seen her "resting" on her own for months now but have just noticed the occasional slow steps and wobbly legs in the past week. None of our other chickens show any similar signs.

8 months old. They 100% free range during the day + occasional fruit and veggie scraps from the kitchen.
It's likely vitamin deficiency, they do need formulated chicken feed like all flock, at least in the morning. Unless you live where there are roving flocks of feral chickens, there isn't enough nutrition in the area to support them for 100% free ranging.

It's likely vitamin deficiency, they do need formulated chicken feed like all flock, at least in the morning. Unless you live where there are roving flocks of feral chickens, there isn't enough nutrition in the area to support them for 100% free ranging.
We have 30 chickens on 40 acres of pasture + 40 acres of woods. They lay great quality eggs with brightly colored nutrient dense yolks. So i don't think it's nutrition in general, but could maybe be a specific vitamin she's not getting enough of?

We have 30 chickens on 40 acres of pasture + 40 acres of woods. They lay great quality eggs with brightly colored nutrient dense yolks. So i don't think it's nutrition in general, but could maybe be a specific vitamin she's not getting enough of?
Orange yolks don't indicate all around nutrition, just that they're getting enough vitamin A, which is found easily. Or they found a source of dye like marigolds, carrots, yams, cheetos.....Other vitamins and minerals aren't found in all areas or in winter, they need some supplemental feed at least in winter when everything is dead, such as a high protein layer. She needs Vitamine E 400 i.u and about 1/3 of a people b complex tablet, every day, for a few weeks. It could be am injury, but I wouldn't suspect that if there's no wound. How do her pupils look?

Back
Top Bottom