FRESH EATING EGG FINDER BY STATE! Buy eggs! Sell Eggs!

A few question... who is this list intended to target? BYCers who already have chickens? Will regular people without chickens be able to find this somewhere else other than BYC? How are you going to publish it? Some state require a license to sell eating eggs so that might should be a field too.

Why is the Database called Hatching Eggs if this is for eating eggs? Confused... really confused.
I believe it is intended for anyone who browses BYC. Which is usually more guests than members. The Document can be published but that has not currently been discussed yet. You make a good point about the licenses. People selling will need to check their local ordinances. Not sure why it says Hatching I'll go change that right now.

We really appreciate everyone's feedback. It is truly helping us improve everything the best way we can. Also for everyone on dial up or mobile is this document easy to load? We were hoping this would be more user friendly for you guys than the google map.

Quote:
Keep in mind those guests, have chickens or are getting some soon. I was a guest for a long time, before I posted.... I had chickens that were laying. I think you have a very limited market for eating eggs on BYC.... kinda like selling roos.... everyone has them
hide.gif

I think it actually has a pretty good Market. Everyday I see threads asking if people sell organic, free range, etc eggs in their area. Also many people go through weeks when they are getting 1 or 2 eggs a week. They still have to buy eggs so why not from local BYC members over store bought eggs.

Quote:
Keep in mind those guests, have chickens or are getting some soon. I was a guest for a long time, before I posted.... I had chickens that were laying. I think you have a very limited market for eating eggs on BYC.... kinda like selling roos.... everyone has them
hide.gif

You do have a point. Maybe we can find a way to pull in buyers. Does BYC advertise to gain membership? Perhaps this could be a draw.

Kevin, you asked about speed of the spreadsheet showing up, I counted to 4 and it was up. I have dial up. I expect as the spread sheet grows it will take longer to load.

Sorry, that was not mentioned in any of the posts.... price might be a requirement then..... the spreadsheet makes more sense now.

A version of this for hatching eggs would be GREAT!
This thread is a spinoff of this thread:

https://www.backyardchickens.com/t/623036/map-for-selling-eating-eggs

Ive actually gotten a lot of people buying eggs from me that contacted me thru here. Most are people that can't have chickens where they live, or who really like eggs from free range hens but dont want their own hens, or people who have a few hens, but just dont have enough eggs. All are very close to me, so they dont have to drive far. And one person comes from over an hour away; she visits her Dad here, and picks up 6 dozen every time she comes. So having a location seems imperative in selling eating eggs; not so much so for hatching eggs or chickens, where people are willing to make a single drive to pick up something they want.

The BYC website is well known, and has huge traffic. There are a lot of news articles now from towns and cities all over about the backyard chicken movement. It piques a lot of peoples interest, and people love buying eggs from happy hens. Not everyone wants their own hens, but they do want eggs.

Last edited:
Kevin, you asked about speed of the spreadsheet showing up, I counted to 4 and it was up. I have dial up. I expect as the spread sheet grows it will take longer to load.
Is that a good sign for dial up? I've never used dial up so I'm not sure how it works

Kevin, nice start! I like the search feature for each column. Who will edit this document? What happens if someone sells off all of their chickens and wants removed, or changes a price, or adds ducks ect? If the flock owner can't edit their own line, how often will it be updated?

It needs a column for currently selling YES/NO so of someone is on vacation, or their flock has slowed down they can be listed still, but customers low they have no eggs currently available.

It did tell me the desktop version of google docs wasn't supported by my browser (safari on iPad)

Quote:
gig.gif
Yes,s that is fast. THe map took about 3 minutes and it felt like forever , just sitting and waiting. If I am pushing buttons to get a selection I actually feel useful.

Which leads me to. Perhaps if you build a list consisting of the 50 states and PR and other countries, then for example I could select Massachusetts and see only the Massachusett participants.

I don't know if spreadseets can be built like this. Maybe the primary list is all links. Sorry I can only suggest ideas, I don't know how to do any of this; you will have to be the judge of feasability. (Is that a word? LOL)

Thanks Celtic! Right now only Marty and I can only edit the Map. However, the final document will be able to be edited by everyone. This should hopefully make it easier to be up to date on a daily basis.
Kevin, nice start! I like the search feature for each column. Who will edit this document? What happens if someone sells off all of their chickens and wants removed, or changes a price, or adds ducks ect? If the flock owner can't edit their own line, how often will it be updated?
It needs a column for currently selling YES/NO so of someone is on vacation, or their flock has slowed down they can be listed still, but customers low they have no eggs currently available.
It did tell me the desktop version of google docs wasn't supported by my browser (safari on iPad)

gig.gif
Yes,s that is fast. THe map took about 3 minutes and it felt like forever , just sitting and waiting. If I am pushing buttons to get a selection I actually feel useful.

Which leads me to. Perhaps if you build a list consisting of the 50 states and PR and other countries, then for example I could select Massachusetts and see only the Massachusett participants.

I don't know if spreadseets can be built like this. Maybe the primary list is all links. Sorry I can only suggest ideas, I don't know how to do any of this; you will have to be the judge of feasability. (Is that a word? LOL)
That is a good suggestion. I understand what you are saying and will see if it can be set up in a similar matter.

Back
Top Bottom