Fried green tomatoes anyone

Just got the memo.
wink.png

So what's wrong with fried green tomatoes?

I'm debating on sneaking into the neighbors garden for some.

Imp

My mom just always fried them with flour. But I think the majority of people fry them corn meal coating. I like the ones that are about to turn orange but they are a bit mushy.

I always try to ripen my green tomatoes in brown paper, but when that doesn't work I make green tomato salsa. It is a nice change from my traditional salsa. I can mine in a hot water bath, but you could definitely whip some up and let it sit a few days in the fridge before eating it if you only have a small quantity of green tomatoes.

I think your green tomato Parmesan idea sounds great! If I were to make it I would make the traditional cornmeal fried green tomatoes, lay them in a baking dish pour tomato sauce over them, sprinkle them w/ mozzarella and Parmesan and bake them until the cheese browns. I'm going to have to try it!

We do eggplant parmesan and zucchini parmesan alot and i love it this will be the first time with green tomatoe parmesan. I really wanna do green tomatoe relish just trying to find my grandmothers recipe.

I love FGT here,,but if you let them start turning red or early stages of ripening they fall apart while cooking them.They need to be green and firm.I slice them about 1/4" thick,sprinkle cajun seasoning on them,then run thru a 2/3 flour,1/3 corn meal mix and fry in vegetable oil until the breading is dark. I eat enough of them each year to almost make you sick of tomatoes,but then every April I can't wait to fry some up again.

Back
Top Bottom