Frieda the RIR is Broody Again!

SproutGirl

Songster
11 Years
Apr 3, 2008
Missoula, Montana
Frieda, our Rhode Island Red is broody again! We tried (just a teensy weensy bit) to break her of it, but then we gave in to her cuteness. We got a ringneck pheasant egg from a local butcher/rancher, and she is currently setting on that egg. A local egg farmer is bringing 6 "interesting" chicken eggs tomorrow. I can't wait to see what she picks out for us! With over 100 chickens of various breeds on her farm, little Frieda's babies will be very interesting and fun! I love baby chickens, and I can't wait to see her with them out in the sunshine. Last time she went broody was in November, and she had to protect her little ones from sub freezing temps. She did a great job! I cant wait to see her teach them outside of the coop, though!

ya.gif
celebrate.gif
ya.gif
celebrate.gif
ya.gif
celebrate.gif
ya.gif
celebrate.gif
ya.gif
I have a broody Black Australorp that has eggs that are supposed to hatch 5/9 or 5/10 SOOOO excited!!
fl.gif
hope your hatch works out well
fl.gif

my broody RIR was a hatchery chick bought at TSC last may. She hatched out 4 babies 4-24. I never expected any of them to be broody. Its awesome to watch and listen to her. Im a little upset with her currently, shes teaching the chicks to scratch for food by dumping the feeder.
roll.png
Congratulations, they are awesome arent they. Will be cute to see all the multi colored babies following her around.

Last edited:
My Buff Orpington is broody AGAIN! She took like a week break and back on the nest she sits. And I'd prefer that she get off it! All of this rain we've had has put a delay on getting our new coop and runs built and I've no place to put her with eggs yet.

So Frieda is now sitting on 7 HUGE assorted eggs from my egg farmer friend, also 3 bantam eggs a pheasant egg from a butcher/rancher! Go Mamma Hen!

Here are the eggs in the nest. The dark teal one in front is the pheasant egg.

8378_p1060147.jpg

Here's Frieda on the nest. We use recycled drawers for nesting boxes.

8378_p1060151.jpg

Wow! I just love the pic.
love.gif
My silkies go to broody a lot but RIR....
ep.gif
I can't wait to see the pic. of Mommy RIR & her chicks! Good luck with them. Noriko.

Back
Top Bottom