Friendliest bantams

lcountry

In the Brooder
12 Years
May 11, 2007
Any bantam breed recommendations? I have one silkie and one "BB Red bantam" (?). The BB Red wasn't one that I picked out and don't know much about the breed. She/he is very sweet at this stage - picked on a bit by the silkie, in fact. Anyone know/have them?

I would like a couple more silkies or a showgirl or two. But I'm not having much luck finding any available around here and can't justify the shipping costs for a small number of birds. Tried my best, but had no luck hatching and scared to even try it again.

I found a breeding pair of buff cochins, but are they a friendly breed?

Old English Game Bantams.

I have two the little sweeties can't stay off me. I go in the coop and they both land on my head or shoulders. Then they scream at me, but it's because they love me.

Thanks for the putting a breed with the name I was told for the chick. After some research, I guess that the BB Red is a type of OEGB? Looking at the info on MyPetChicken... uh oh! Sounds like this little one will become a terror when it's older! Can't be with docile breeds...fight to the death...hens aggressive... Is this always the case? Otherwise, I'll need to be breaking it to my daughter that "BB" isn't a long term friend!

I personally think that the Dutch bantams, (Look almost like a OEG) are the friendliest when it comes to hens.
I have had poor luck with cochin bantams, mine were always agressive to other breeds.

MY OEGB is the sweetest out of the couple I have and she's a lot sweeter than my standards too. She's always flying up on me and follows me every where and comes when I call for her. She'll also run up to me and lift her wings up a little so I can pick her up, just like a little kid wanting to be picked up. It's too cute. And she also starting laying eggs at 17 weeks.

I have OEGB and barred rocks (standard) and EE all in the same pen they are not that agressive, never had to break up a fight, so don't worry, some hatcheries dont know everything.

I have one cochin hen that is super sweet and follows me all over. I have an Evil Cochin as well. I've had TONS of Sweet OEGBs. I've also had some evil ones. You will find nice ones and mean ones in EVERY breed. It the individual bird that you need to be concerned with. I raised my cochin fine and spent a lot of time with him, but he does anything he can now to rip my legs to shreds.

Back
Top Bottom