Friendly rooster breeds

That is quite a jump in your numbers. A bit off topic, but here is an idea you might consider. I would not add 50 all at once, I would add 25 this year, 25 the next. This will give you three different ages in your flock. A multi generational flock, is a much more stable flock, and will generally have more birds laying even in the dark days of winter, if your pullets start early enough, generally speaking.

The problem of getting 50 this year, if that maxes out your space, well then in three years you have mostly very old 3 and 4 year old hens. Some may die before that, but older hens do not lay that well, and I find that often time their egg quality also decreases. So then you will be needing to do a massive cull, and new chicks.

If this does not max out your set up, well then, not a big deal.

Mrs K

That is quite a jump in your numbers. A bit off topic, but here is an idea you might consider. I would not add 50 all at once, I would add 25 this year, 25 the next. This will give you three different ages in your flock. A multi generational flock, is a much more stable flock, and will generally have more birds laying even in the dark days of winter, if your pullets start early enough, generally speaking.

The problem of getting 50 this year, if that maxes out your space, well then in three years you have mostly very old 3 and 4 year old hens. Some may die before that, but older hens do not lay that well, and I find that often time their egg quality also decreases. So then you will be needing to do a massive cull, and new chicks.

If this does not max out your set up, well then, not a big deal.

Mrs K
<smacks forehead> I'd totally spaced reading that, Mrs. K, and that's a heck of a good point! I'm ashamed of me for not spotting that!

I'm also interested in a friendly rooster... Mind if I tag along?

pop.gif

Most docile roo ever met is my new 1year old Russian Orloff. A true gentle Ben.Not sure if its common to the breed but he has never crowed, makes a coo.I would recommend these to anybody especially for older kids.I am looking to find a Russian hen now.

Back
Top Bottom