What breed to add to our flock?

I have to laugh, chicken math...I lost one, so will add 3...:plbb

I am a fan of getting the chicks into the flock at 3-4 weeks. I don't separate them, but do provide a safety zones.

Easter eggers - add a little color to your basket, and generally get along well in that type of flock. Personally I have only had one BO that I didn't like, and like to have one in the flock to go broody. I like raising chicks with a broody hen.

Truthfully - any of those on the list will work fine. IMO what you need to avoid is the bantam or polish breeds.

Mrs K
It is ABSOLUTELY chicken math! 🤣

But also I want to get 3 just in case we lose 1 so they will have safety in numbers when integrating with our flock.

Our first chicks we got 5 RIR, 1 died the first night. Our second chicks we got 4 BA and all made it.

I think I've settled on silver or gold lace wyandotte. I read they are said to continue laying through winter better than other breeds and they are gorgeous! 😍
Is there any difference between the gold and silver ones beside the color of their feathers?
Or maybe black sexlinks? Anyone have experience with either breed?
Hi, just wanted to let you know that the Silver laced Wyandottes often have crop problems. My friend is a chicken rescuer and has been a breeder all her life following her mother's example. After I had to put my Silver Wyandotte to sleep because the vet said he couldn't fix her impacted crop, she told me that they are renowned for crop issues. Her sister is a Golden laced and has had no problems at all and she is 2 years old. She is also a beautiful chicken :love

Hi, just wanted to let you know that the Silver laced Wyandottes often have crop problems. My friend is a chicken rescuer and has been a breeder all her life following her mother's example. After I had to put my Silver Wyandotte to sleep because the vet said he couldn't fix her impacted crop, she told me that they are renowned for crop issues. Her sister is a Golden laced and has had no problems at all and she is 2 years old. She is also a beautiful chicken :love
Thank you for the information. I decided to go with what I know and get more RIR

Back
Top Bottom