From clean to dirty eggs and nesting box

hmmm

In the Brooder
Apr 30, 2017
our 3 hens are6 moths old They would never go to the bathroom in there nest boxes or shelter area.It was supper clean. The hens would also sleep outside on pearch, now that it Is colder they sleep in shelter and this seems to be when poop on eggs started. I give them organic feed and the eggs are awsome but now I wont eat them because they are dirty..ANY TIPS? Also They forge during the day thinking I may let them Forge and stay put all night then early am before laying time open coop??? they are smart they hide in my bushes and on sleeps in the tree.. DO YOU THINK THEY WILL sTOLL LAY ON COOP..

If your coop is small, or there is a lack of bedding on the floor, this may be part of the issue. Birds step in poo, then track it into nest on their feet. Simply wash the eggs. Skid marks happen. I save any skid marked eggs for my own use, and sell the rest.

I'm confused by the OP - the chickens were sleeping "outside the shelter area" before? What is the shelter area? Does that mean they weren't sleeping in the coop and were out in the run overnight, or they were sleeping in the coop and now are sleeping in the nest box?

The chickens should be locked in the coop at night for their own safety, unless your run is so secure that you don't think that's an issue. You should never be locking the chickens OUT of the coop, that's their home.

As far as dirty eggs, they're completely safe to eat. Just wash them before using.

Back
Top Bottom