From nothing to this, an impossible journey. Don't give up on your dreams!

teddyjames

Chirping
May 28, 2023
Harts WV
They say that anything is possible. Have you heard that where there is a will there is a way? How about, "If you build it, they will come?" I think, "Just be patient" works better for me I suppose or just don't give up on your dreams.

I grew up pretty normal in my book. No abuse, semi stable living conditions with parents that cared although looking back I wonder how I ever survived sometimes. I had no handouts, I hitched rides to my first job until I could buy a car. I moved from the country to the city seeking my fortune. I got married, we had kids, we had our own house, good jobs, boats, and just about every other "toy" a man could want. It was short lived. Four long years later it was divorce, selling of all my toys and our house, custody battles etc. I lost my job and blew through my retirement fighting the divorce and custody. With no money, no job, and a horrible job market I decided to go where I could basically live off the land for free. I have a small parcel of land tucked out in the middle of nowhere that I currently reside with my current "sane" wife and kids. We have little in the way of money but lots in the way of love and family ties. Lets get chickens we said.

We had a board here, a log there. Nothing really to use. I worked out some real money but couldn't find anyone that wanted to work for money and I was going to pay very well. No truck and no real way of hauling anything I was really trying to find a way to make our dream a reality. I posted here asking for ideas on how to build something when you have nothing and no way to really get anything. There were lots of great ideas but none really worked out for me. I started this project about six months ago and I'll show you where I'm at now.

Neighbors helped donate a few items, I actually bought some fencing from a friend. I sawed a log into a few 2x4's and really things are looking up and I just wanted to share and to say this. If you really want something, never give up even if it seems you have nothing. Keep plugging at it and eventually you will find what your looking for whether it be faith, a position at work, a person you care about, or even chickens.

Keep in mind I kept my purchases to a minimum. I used everything I could that I had laying around. I will need more supplies soon but I think we have that covered. The building has a 14x14 frame but I can only cover half of that right now so the building will start off at 7x14 and 5feet off ground. The run will be under the building and extended out with wire on the top soon to come. The run will measure about 35x14.

Feel free to point out mistakes or any way you can see me do anything a better way. All comments welcome good, bad, or ugly. (of course, stay within terms of forum) :)
IMG_20230914_132825_716.jpg
https://mail.google.com/mail/u/0?ui...=att&disp=safe&realattid=18a94bd09c3d0d216331
https://mail.google.com/mail/u/0?ui...=att&disp=safe&realattid=18a94bd09c3d0d216331

Suggestion for you. Why not save the hand saw work and just use the logs (similar size) as your rafters? Notch a birds mouth at both your top plates (walls) letting them run long on both ends then snap a line for your length you want on the over hangs. If you've got an abundance of logs you could do a full log roof covered with a coating of roof tar.
With lots of logs and a shortage of 2x material I would've done a log cabin style coop with a chainsaw. Cut your windows and doors in after the wall is built.
I'm not knocking anything you did, it looks great so far. Just trying to ease the pain a little.

Thats just the thing. I don't have lots of logs. I'm trying to stretch them as far as possible. I know of one more that is 10 inches in diameter and might be long/straight enough for some rafters, which I doubt will be big enough for the 12 or so more that I need. Maybe when the leaves fall, I may be able to spot another decent sized one. I have enough $$ saved up for about 10 2x4x10's from Lowes, I'll just have to measure how much over-hang out the trunk I'll have in this car. The rear seat lays flat and if I put them all the way up against the windshield, and let them ride on the dash, I might have just enough overhang out the back to skirt me by the D.O.T. at the intersection that always there looking for overweight rednecks like me trying to haul way too much in what they driving.

I think it looks horrible from my perspective and background but it's getting sturdier every day and will be just fine for birds I'm sure.

Ask Lowes where their cull lumber is? Might find a deal. Always look for damaged goods. Busted shingle bundles are always discounted if you ask.
Pallets are free. Craiglist free section and material section is another resource. Keep an eye out for free sheds or teardowns. Anything free is useful. I find them junk sponge board Walmart entertainment stands everywhere. Tear them apart and you got shelving, nest box, poop boards. They don't last long when they get wet but free is money.
Look into a permit to cut firewood on state land. Then rip your logs in half (length wise) and you got free 1/2 log siding.
Good luck, Bud. I've been where your at. If you have any questions @teddyjames give me a shout.
20+ in construction but it looks like you know what your doing.

Side note... I did 3+ in LeRoy just south of Parkersburg before moving back to Mi this last January.

Last edited:
They say that anything is possible. Have you heard that where there is a will there is a way? How about, "If you build it, they will come?" I think, "Just be patient" works better for me I suppose or just don't give up on your dreams.

I grew up pretty normal in my book. No abuse, semi stable living conditions with parents that cared although looking back I wonder how I ever survived sometimes. I had no handouts, I hitched rides to my first job until I could buy a car. I moved from the country to the city seeking my fortune. I got married, we had kids, we had our own house, good jobs, boats, and just about every other "toy" a man could want. It was short lived. Four long years later it was divorce, selling of all my toys and our house, custody battles etc. I lost my job and blew through my retirement fighting the divorce and custody. With no money, no job, and a horrible job market I decided to go where I could basically live off the land for free. I have a small parcel of land tucked out in the middle of nowhere that I currently reside with my current "sane" wife and kids. We have little in the way of money but lots in the way of love and family ties. Lets get chickens we said.

We had a board here, a log there. Nothing really to use. I worked out some real money but couldn't find anyone that wanted to work for money and I was going to pay very well. No truck and no real way of hauling anything I was really trying to find a way to make our dream a reality. I posted here asking for ideas on how to build something when you have nothing and no way to really get anything. There were lots of great ideas but none really worked out for me. I started this project about six months ago and I'll show you where I'm at now.

Neighbors helped donate a few items, I actually bought some fencing from a friend. I sawed a log into a few 2x4's and really things are looking up and I just wanted to share and to say this. If you really want something, never give up even if it seems you have nothing. Keep plugging at it and eventually you will find what your looking for whether it be faith, a position at work, a person you care about, or even chickens.

Keep in mind I kept my purchases to a minimum. I used everything I could that I had laying around. I will need more supplies soon but I think we have that covered. The building has a 14x14 frame but I can only cover half of that right now so the building will start off at 7x14 and 5feet off ground. The run will be under the building and extended out with wire on the top soon to come. The run will measure about 35x14.

Feel free to point out mistakes or any way you can see me do anything a better way. All comments welcome good, bad, or ugly. (of course, stay within terms of forum) :)
View attachment 3635543

Great start, and what a great attitude. I love the reuse of items and your ingenuity, can’t wait to see it when it’s done.

current progress....
IMG_20230917_153914_892.jpg

Do you happen to have a building material recycling center near enough to get to?
They tend to have a good selection of lumber around here, quite a bit cheaper than the big box stores.
It’s often blemished, or a bit twisted.... but I’ve had decent luck without having to turn to Craigslist/ FB marketplace for multiple runs and a few items that I can integrate into my projects when cash was tight.
I love the progress, you are doing great :)
Just trying to brainstorm for the last touches!

Do you happen to have a building material recycling center near enough to get to?
They tend to have a good selection of lumber around here, quite a bit cheaper than the big box stores.
It’s often blemished, or a bit twisted.... but I’ve had decent luck without having to turn to Craigslist/ FB marketplace for multiple runs and a few items that I can integrate into my projects when cash was tight.
I love the progress, you are doing great :)
Just trying to brainstorm for the last touches!
Great idea I didn't think of. I know they have a Habitat for Humanity there in W.V.... at least they did in Parkersburg. Good tip for me to remember, tho👍

Back
Top Bottom