From nothing to this, an impossible journey. Don't give up on your dreams!

There isn't much you can put into a trunk of a compact car. I have found a few items on facebook marketplace but again no way to haul anything. We are currently trying to place ads around looking for someone with a truck that would haul some things but no luck so far. I'm having better luck felling trees and milling them into a few boards but I have a very limited supply of trees. If you look at the photo you will see 6 sections of dog kennel. Wanna know how they got here? Me and my wife packing them from little over a mile away. If we can't pack it or stuff it into a trunk it won't work for us.

But its slow but steady progress :)

Until you get the boards you need, you can use heavy plastic. This is what I have on my small hoop house.

The newer dairy barns where I live (Michigan) use a half wall of wood on the bottom of their cow sheds/barns with the upper half made of heavy plastic. In the summer they roll the plastic up and roll it back down in late autumn. They can also roll it down on the lee side when there is a big storm.

You could also use heavy tarps, but I think the heavy plastic is more durable.
:D:celebrate

We actually have plenty of roofing metal to use left over from the old mobile home. Its where I got the metal beams, most of the floor and wall studs from. We still at it :)
IMG_20230918_174541_570.jpg

I am impressed at what you have accomplished so far. I also had a toxic ex and ended up with a great hubby now. I'm glad you didn't give up your dream. It's a slow process but in the end you will appreciate it so much more.
Plus holy moly look at those beams! Nice job! We made my coop out of scrap lumber too ( below) we butted up to our new fence do we only had to buy 1 piece of siding T1-11? I think it's called. And got a remnant of lino for floor. I have used milk crates for a nest box... it's their favorite.!
You should be proud the doors on our coop we're reinforced windows off a demo. Check local marketplace ads mine just offered a barn for anyone to tear down for lumber. I think your build looks nice.
IMG_20200902_154106.jpg

They say that anything is possible. Have you heard that where there is a will there is a way? How about, "If you build it, they will come?" I think, "Just be patient" works better for me I suppose or just don't give up on your dreams.

I grew up pretty normal in my book. No abuse, semi stable living conditions with parents that cared although looking back I wonder how I ever survived sometimes. I had no handouts, I hitched rides to my first job until I could buy a car. I moved from the country to the city seeking my fortune. I got married, we had kids, we had our own house, good jobs, boats, and just about every other "toy" a man could want. It was short lived. Four long years later it was divorce, selling of all my toys and our house, custody battles etc. I lost my job and blew through my retirement fighting the divorce and custody. With no money, no job, and a horrible job market I decided to go where I could basically live off the land for free. I have a small parcel of land tucked out in the middle of nowhere that I currently reside with my current "sane" wife and kids. We have little in the way of money but lots in the way of love and family ties. Lets get chickens we said.

We had a board here, a log there. Nothing really to use. I worked out some real money but couldn't find anyone that wanted to work for money and I was going to pay very well. No truck and no real way of hauling anything I was really trying to find a way to make our dream a reality. I posted here asking for ideas on how to build something when you have nothing and no way to really get anything. There were lots of great ideas but none really worked out for me. I started this project about six months ago and I'll show you where I'm at now.

Neighbors helped donate a few items, I actually bought some fencing from a friend. I sawed a log into a few 2x4's and really things are looking up and I just wanted to share and to say this. If you really want something, never give up even if it seems you have nothing. Keep plugging at it and eventually you will find what your looking for whether it be faith, a position at work, a person you care about, or even chickens.

Keep in mind I kept my purchases to a minimum. I used everything I could that I had laying around. I will need more supplies soon but I think we have that covered. The building has a 14x14 frame but I can only cover half of that right now so the building will start off at 7x14 and 5feet off ground. The run will be under the building and extended out with wire on the top soon to come. The run will measure about 35x14.

Feel free to point out mistakes or any way you can see me do anything a better way. All comments welcome good, bad, or ugly. (of course, stay within terms of forum) :)
View attachment 3635543
https://mail.google.com/mail/u/0?ui...=att&disp=safe&realattid=18a94bd09c3d0d216331
https://mail.google.com/mail/u/0?ui...=att&disp=safe&realattid=18a94bd09c3d0d216331

I built my very nice coop out of pallets and leftover plywood. Also leftover vinyl flooring, which is easy to clean. I built it inside a standing pole shed, and extra gravel to set the floor on. My pen is off to the side. I also used Lowe's oddball lumber, and seconds. A lot cheaper that way. I also used a lot of hardware cloth to keep out burrowing critters from getting into the coop or pen. So far, so good.

Attachments

• WhatsApp Image 2023-04-15 at 17.28.07.jpg
    WhatsApp Image 2023-04-15 at 17.28.07.jpg
    464.9 KB · Views: 2
  • WhatsApp Image 2023-04-15 at 17.28.27.jpg
    WhatsApp Image 2023-04-15 at 17.28.27.jpg
    659.7 KB · Views: 4
  • WhatsApp Image 2023-04-15 at 17.28.44.jpg
    WhatsApp Image 2023-04-15 at 17.28.44.jpg
    758.3 KB · Views: 5
  • WhatsApp Image 2023-04-15 at 17.31.55.jpg
    WhatsApp Image 2023-04-15 at 17.31.55.jpg
    590.8 KB · Views: 5
  • WhatsApp Image 2023-04-29 at 19.11.59.jpg
    WhatsApp Image 2023-04-29 at 19.11.59.jpg
    438.3 KB · Views: 8
I am impressed at what you have accomplished so far. I also had a toxic ex and ended up with a great hubby now. I'm glad you didn't give up your dream. It's a slow process but in the end you will appreciate it so much more.
Plus holy moly look at those beams! Nice job! We made my coop out of scrap lumber too ( below) we butted up to our new fence do we only had to buy 1 piece of siding T1-11? I think it's called. And got a remnant of lino for floor. I have used milk crates for a nest box... it's their favorite.!
You should be proud the doors on our coop we're reinforced windows off a demo. Check local marketplace ads mine just offered a barn for anyone to tear down for lumber. I think your build looks nice. View attachment 3640058
I love the looks of this, it just screams cozy! :)

I built my very nice coop out of pallets and leftover plywood. Also leftover vinyl flooring, which is easy to clean. I built it inside a standing pole shed, and extra gravel to set the floor on. My pen is off to the side. I also used Lowe's oddball lumber, and seconds. A lot cheaper that way. I also used a lot of hardware cloth to keep out burrowing critters from getting into the coop or pen. So far, so good.
looks like a nice setup for sure...

There isn't much you can put into a trunk of a compact car. I have found a few items on facebook marketplace but again no way to haul anything. We are currently trying to place ads around looking for someone with a truck that would haul some things but no luck so far. I'm having better luck felling trees and milling them into a few boards but I have a very limited supply of trees. If you look at the photo you will see 6 sections of dog kennel. Wanna know how they got here? Me and my wife packing them from little over a mile away. If we can't pack it or stuff it into a trunk it won't work for us.

But its slow but steady progress :)
You could throw a moving blanket, comforter over your roof of the car and ratchet strap your load thru the doors. I wouldn't suggest hauling across the state but just down the road would get you by. Another thought, post a wanted add for scrap lumber, logs wanted, etc. Maybe that might generate some material for you. The coop is coming along nicely, well done. 👍

You could throw a moving blanket, comforter over your roof of the car and ratchet strap your load thru the doors. I wouldn't suggest hauling across the state but just down the road would get you by. Another thought, post a wanted add for scrap lumber, logs wanted, etc. Maybe that might generate some material for you. The coop is coming along nicely, well done. 👍
I'm ready for something local. I did measurements today. My car, with the back seat folded flat and my front passenger seat leaned back, I can get a few 10 foot 2x4's in there with about 18in overhang. I can get lowes to cut plywood in half (2x8) but it won't fit over the front seat so that would give me about the same overhang.

I spoke with my nearest neighbor and im sure he will take a trip to lowes at a reasonable price. Totally overlooked him before.

I keep watch on facebook and craigslist for something local but its pretty dried up around here. For example, there is a guy that is tearing down a house 30 miles away and says come get anything you want. I can't justify traveling that far for 5 or 6 2x4's at a time. Neighbor might help but he won't haul truckloads or nail embedded wood (is new). I just have to pass it up lol.

Back
Top Bottom