From silkie mix to new breed?

Well, eggs just went into lockdown. This whole month was interesting, cause the egg turner stopped working and I found out the incubator isn't as warm as it should be, so chicks will probably hatch a day late. I'm going to order a brinsea 28 egg incubator that will hopefully be more reliable and last longer.

So far one of Oakley's chicks has hatched. Looks like it inherited dominant white from the dad. One more egg is in the incubator, but I don't know if it'll hatch cause it's a couple days past hatch day and still no pips. If this is the only chick that hatches then I'm gonna put some more of Oakley's eggs in the incubator when I receive the shipped silkie eggs. My new incubator came, so I'll be using that to hatch next time.

I'll post more pictures of the chick later.

Attachments

• 20230325_104731.jpg
    20230325_104731.jpg
    322.1 KB · Views: 9
I opened up the unhatched egg and the chick looked black. I've already collected about 5 more of Oakley's eggs that I will start incubating either this week or next week. Still one more of Oakley's eggs due in 2 days. It looks like this white chick's feathers are going to be normal not silked. At least one thing is going my way. I really hope to not get many silked chicks.
20230329_151657.jpg

Here's the chick at 1 week old. I named it Ollie. If it's gonna be a cockerel then I can call it Oliver.
The other chick hatched, but I'm not sure if it'll survive. It's making weird head movements and overall seems very uncoordinated, sometimes walking backwards, randomly comes out from under the heater and doesn't understand how to get back under it. Color wise it looks just like Oakley did as a chick. Light with dark brown and silver chipmunk stripes.
I also just set 7 more of Oakley's eggs. This time in the brinsea. I threw in 4 of Oakley's mother's eggs in there just for fun and cause I had extra space.
20230403_224433.jpg

Back
Top Bottom