Frontline ???

Pour on insecticides are absorbed into the animals system. The skin is the largest living organ. My point is , stop and think before you put anything on your pets and livestock. The insecticide powders are effective but labour intensive , it is human nature to find a quick ' easy fix ' , but is it ' best practice ' ?

Pour on insecticides are absorbed into the animals system. The skin is the largest living organ. My point is , stop and think before you put anything on your pets and livestock. The insecticide powders are effective but labour intensive , it is human nature to find a quick ' easy fix ' , but is it ' best practice ' ?

Hi fancychooklady. It sounds like you believe that insecticides are an 'easy' way to solve the vexing problem of external parasites. I have tried many methods to kill the little buggers and find the problem quite challenging and I would not consider any of the things I have tried easy by any means.

I am open to all sorts of ideas. If you would be so kind as to tell me how you were able to eradicate mites without the use of insecticides, I would love to hear about your method!

Hi fancychooklady. It sounds like you believe that insecticides are an 'easy' way to solve the vexing problem of external parasites. I have tried many methods to kill the little buggers and find the problem quite challenging and I would not consider any of the things I have tried easy by any means.

I am open to all sorts of ideas. If you would be so kind as to tell me how you were able to eradicate mites without the use of insecticides, I would love to hear about your method!

You misunderstand my meaning. I use poultry dust which is more time consuming than putting a drop of ivermectin or frontline on each bird. I go out at night while they are on the perch , dust everyone down, clean the coops and then spray the coops out. Then do it all again 10 days later.

You misunderstand my meaning. I use poultry dust which is more time consuming than putting a drop of ivermectin or frontline on each bird. I go out at night while they are on the perch , dust everyone down, clean the coops and then spray the coops out. Then do it all again 10 days later.

Fair enough. What poultry dust are you using?

Have there been studies to see if pestene is absorbed into the blood system.
:)

To be honest Scott, I don't like using any pesticides on my animals but what I like even less is watching my birds becoming anaemic , get sick and die. So being as pestene and sevin
Are labelled for use in poultry I'm going with the ' lesser of two evils '
I have recently started using a pyrethrum product but am unsure of its effectiveness , as yet. Will keep you posted. :)

I would say keeping ashes (DE if you want to purchase) is needed for preventative and because it's in the nature of the bird to dust and they dust for feather health as well. Using frontline or ivermectin ( I used this one with huge success) takes immediate care of the problem at hand.

Just a note, since I didn't see it anywhere else on this thread - fipronil is considered highly toxic to chickens and other galliformes (chicken like birds)

Tests on chickens show an acute toxicity of only 11.3mg per Kg of chicken, vs 640mg per Kg for your dog or cat. Yes, that is 60x more sensitive. These levels I am quoting are the levels that cause certain death in the animal, they can get harmed at much lower levels. I would avoid fipronilling the chickens, no matter how careful you think you are. Also note, you can't use small dog formula on cats, because there are other additives that are harmful to cats in the dog formulation, what else is in the dog and cat formulations that is harmful to the chickens?

Back
Top Bottom