Frontline ???

Until there is a published study no one can say its not absorbed into the bloodstream just because other people are "fine" doesn't men there won't be effects down the line or that someone else won't react badly. My husband is HIGHLY allergenic to it and will even have severe asthma attack if around animals that have frontline on them. My aunts dog licked him, his hand swolle up and his face got puffy, we went to help her a week later and the dog shook itself in the room and he had to get his inhaler. It only caused my hands to itch a little but nothing serious, so you should be careful with that stuff and make sure no one eating the eggs is allergenic to it. Personally I wouldn't eat them for at least a month or more because if its in the bloodstream it probably is in the eggs in very small trace amounts.

Until there is a published study no one can say its not absorbed into the bloodstream just because other people are "fine" doesn't men there won't be effects down the line or that someone else won't react badly. My husband is HIGHLY allergenic to it and will even have severe asthma attack if around animals that have frontline on them. My aunts dog licked him, his hand swolle up and his face got puffy, we went to help her a week later and the dog shook itself in the room and he had to get his inhaler. It only caused my hands to itch a little but nothing serious, so you should be careful with that stuff and make sure no one eating the eggs is allergenic to it. Personally I wouldn't eat them for at least a month or more because if its in the bloodstream it probably is in the eggs in very small trace amounts.
If you look at post 61, there is a professor in California who was trying to get volunteers to send him eggs from hens treated with frontline. I sent him two months of eggs to see if we can get it figured out. Hopefully others have participated and he can give us some data at some point. I doubt he'll publish, but his scientific method appeared to be first rate so I would trust his results even if its not in a journal.

Last edited:
Oh ok good that would be great! He might not be able to publish as there may be backlash from his study if the results aren't satisfactory for the company but I wish him luck anyway.

We are going to use Permethrin concentrate... recommended from a sales clerk..... used on beef and dairy cattle, horses, sheep, goats, swine, "POULTRY AND THEIR PREMISES" use one dogs and kennels..... also works for all household lil boogers too! flies, spiders, bed bugs the list goes on!! ticks, fleas...... the amount of spray we will get from our one quart concentrate serioulsy out weighs a little tube of "flea n tick" stuff you get in the stores . How will this affect the eggs? I would like to know.....

We are going to use Permethrin concentrate... recommended from a sales clerk..... used on beef and dairy cattle, horses, sheep, goats, swine, "POULTRY AND THEIR PREMISES" use one dogs and kennels..... also works for all household lil boogers too! flies, spiders, bed bugs the list goes on!! ticks, fleas...... the amount of spray we will get from our one quart concentrate serioulsy out weighs a little tube of "flea n tick" stuff you get in the stores . How will this affect the eggs? I would like to know.....
I think perimeter spraying is critical to control pests, I had great luck with Permethrin diluted in to a tank sprayer. Do remember its toxic to cats and aquatic life.

If you are using it as a perimeter spray I wouldn't have any concern about egg residue. Because it is a pesticide, not a medicine, there are no egg withdrawal studies for treatment of chickens. I typically throw out the first couple of eggs whenever I treat the hens with any product, just in case.

Do pay close attention to the labeled concentration--it varies depending on what application and animal you are going to use it for/on. Also if you have porous wood, you will need to saturate it so the product gets all the way down in to the cracks. If you have a hen house with limited air circulation, I would make sure to air it out as the product dries (without the hens present) so they don't have to breath the fresh fumes.

Good Luck :)

I used the liquid frontline using 1-2drops right below the spot on the head where the Roos grab but above where the hen can preen. We had a infestation that was on all of our 45 chickens including my 1 guinea. We didn't eat the eggs for 7 days and all of the bugs went away. The eggs and live bugs were killed. The hens removed the stuck eggs (dust bathing/preening) and all was well. The chickens didn't seem to have any problems and we havent gotten sick from eating the eggs. The other methods had me trying to compare everything but I have found that this is the easiest. So I'm giving my experience that this is good stuff.

Back
Top Bottom