Frost bite, or frozen dead chickens or dying chickens

waht about silkies...where can they get frostbite? im scared for my girls, it has been -20 last two nights

silkies are pretty vulnerable. I would watch them and make sure they're not in distress. Their feet, wattles, and comb can be frostbitten. What's their situation like?

lolacan, she seems okay, feet look a=ok. we have been brining her in at night and letting her roam around to warm up. She is still pretty small maybe 3-4 months

It's been in the teens to around 30 degrees this week in Georgia. So, I've been giving the chickens some dried corn and oats in the morning to keep them warm, I take in the waterer at night so it doesn't freeze, I replace the water twice a day to prevent freezing, I check for eggs every time I go in, I close the chicken door at night to keep out drafts, and because the chickens have frostbite I put vaseline on some of their combs in the afternoon.

It's been in the teens to around 30 degrees this week in Georgia. So, I've been giving the chickens some dried corn and oats in the morning to keep them warm, I take in the waterer at night so it doesn't freeze, I replace the water twice a day to prevent freezing, I check for eggs every time I go in, I close the chicken door at night to keep out drafts, and because the chickens have frostbite I put vaseline on some of their combs in the afternoon.

Sounds like you are trying to stay on top of things:)

If your chickens are getting frostbite, you may have the coop closed up too tightly. While you want to eliminate drafts as much as possible, you still need plenty of ventilation (airflow) to move moisture from their breath and droppings up and out of the coop. Moisture is usually the main cause of frostbite.

Heat lamps, extra corn, and protein (dog food that I’m not using, mixed with meal worms , and the occasional meat scraps). I have three lamps in my coop and the temp is not above 40 still! My rooster gets frostbite so easily I’m worried about him. Because he has to stay in the coop he has to have water but it’s in a small container to help keep humidity down, is there anything else I can do to warm it up? It’s also insulated.

Heat lamps, extra corn, and protein (dog food that I’m not using, mixed with meal worms , and the occasional meat scraps). I have three lamps in my coop and the temp is not above 40 still! My rooster gets frostbite so easily I’m worried about him. Because he has to stay in the coop he has to have water but it’s in a small container to help keep humidity down, is there anything else I can do to warm it up? It’s also insulated.

What breed of chickens do you have @Abriana ? How many?
Pictures of your chickens:) and coop would be a good idea. Unless they are very young or possibly a specialty breed, they should do fine in cold weather, provided they have generous bedding, a way to get out of wind (eliminate drafts) and proper ventilation.

Heat lamps are not designed to heat a room - their purpose is to provide a warm spot. Too much heat in cold weather can be counterproductive. If he needs to warm up, I would think he would settle under or near the lamp.

Frostbite is usually due to moisture - not enough ventilation. If you have your coop closed completely up, open up your vents.

What breed of chickens do you have @Abriana ? How many?
Pictures of your chickens:) and coop would be a good idea. Unless they are very young or possibly a specialty breed, they should do fine in cold weather, provided they have generous bedding, a way to get out of wind (eliminate drafts) and proper ventilation.

Heat lamps are not designed to heat a room - their purpose is to provide a warm spot. Too much heat in cold weather can be counterproductive. If he needs to warm up, I would think he would settle under or near the lamp.

Frostbite is usually due to moisture - not enough ventilation. If you have your coop closed completely up, open up your vents.
My columbian rocks are the ones I’m most worried about. I can get pics later

Back
Top Bottom