Frostbite / Ventilation Help

sunmanchicken127

In the Brooder
Sep 7, 2022
UT
Hello

Northern UT here. We have been getting as low at 20 degrees at night lately.

I noticed last night there was blood all over my feeders. Upon some investigating, I found my barred rocks both had what looks like frostbite across their combs. They stick their heads through the fence so I am guessing doing that mixed with the frostbite caused them to bleed. They look like they naturally stopped bleeding within a few hours and I am going to grab blu-kote today and apply it. I also am seeing some small specs of black on my Rhode Island Reds' combs.
View attachment 3308634

I have been working on fixing a coop my chickens are in. We have enough space and roosting bars, but I am stuck on what to do next. Here's what I have:View attachment 3308643View attachment 3308644View attachment 3308645View attachment 3308646View attachment 3308647

I want to use ventilation to hopefully prevent further frostbite. I was going to add another hardware cloth slot on the opposite side of the current one that's right above the shingles (picture #1). However, as you can see, this would put a pretty bad draft across their heads. I don't know how to add more ventilation without putting a draft across them. I am willing to use artificial heating as an absolute last resort, but I am hoping there are other ideas here so I don't have to. My entire flock is 2 BR, 3 RIR, 2 EE & 1 Leghorn.

This is also the first winter for all of them minus 1 RIR and the Leghorn. Those two are a few years old but the other 6 are 6 months old.

Thanks for any help / input.

I also am seeing some small specs of black on my Rhode Island Reds' combs.
View attachment 3308634
That's not frostbite.

They look like they naturally stopped bleeding within a few hours and I am going to grab blu-kote today and apply it.
...and they will heal up on their own.
I wouldn't bother with the blu kote, it camouflages the wounds so you can't keep an eye on them.

I have been working on fixing a coop my chickens are in. We have enough space and roosting bars, but I am stuck on what to do next. Here's what I have: View attachment 3308643 View attachment 3308644 View attachment 3308645 View attachment 3308646 View attachment 3308647
You need a better(waterproof) roof with large(~12") overhangs,
to protect the chipboard walls and vents.

Back
Top Bottom