Frozen leg

FloppyGirl

Songster
Nov 14, 2022
Alberta, Canada
Yesterday when i went to let out the chickens I noticed one of my young BCM cockerels walking funny. I picked him up and to my horror his one foot was frozen solid. The temperatures had dipped to-20Cs but they have an insulated coop and I can't figure out how this could have happened. This is not the first year that we had chickens through extreme temperatures and if anything we upgraded our coop this summer. This morning we reached -34C and I kept the flock in until the temperatures rose to those that i thought my chickens could handle and noone seems to have any issues. I do a nightly check with a flashlight to make sure no one is hiding outside, but I guess it is possible that I missed one.

I brought him inside and his feet defrosted (both were frost bitten, but the left more so). They have now blistered and I have wrapped them up in Betadine soaked bandages. Hes still eating and drinking but we will see how it goes.

Sorry about your rooster. Could you take some pictures of his feet and legs? -20 is equal to -4 F, and that could cause frostbite if his leg got wet or he was in a direct draft. I would not wrap his legs, but I would use some Vetericyn or other wound spray on his legs as long as he is in a room above freezing. Soaking his legs in lukewarm saline once a day might also help in healing. Saline is 2 tsp of table salt dissolved in each 1 liter or quart of water. Don’t massage or rub his legs.

With possibke frostbite, it might take a week or more to see what damage there is. If the tissue is black or blue, it may eventually shrivel up. Let us know how he gets along.

Thank you for the advice Eggcessive! I removed the bandages and soaked his feet in the saline solution. As you can see in the photo, they are quite swollen and blistered. That was about 48hrs after I brought him inside. They obviously hurt and he's been sitting down most of the day, but still has an appetite.
BCM feet 2.jpeg

It took about a month, but he lost all toes on his one foot and lost the entire foot on the other leg, but he is still doing well. Unfortunately he lost his friend last week and that was probably harder for him.

I had brought in a pullet shortly after his 'incident' that was not growing and I found on the coop floor shivering. She was tiny but full of attitude. She'd jump up and tug him by the wattles if she wanted his food. They were literally inseparable for a month.

Last week I heard him stomping around midnight when he should have been asleep, got up and checked on him, seeing his tail under his 'fort' i went back to bed. Laid awake for another two hours listening to him being 'restless'. Got up to start work since I couldn't sleep. Looked to check on him and didn't see 'Chatty Cathy' next to him. Looked over and she was on her side under my desk. Rigor mortis had set in so she mostly died around midnight. She had attempted to fly into my lap that day and couldn't quite make it. I had picked her up and she was breathing hard. Looking back I think it was a bad heart that explained the lack of growth, blood circulation, and energy. She had a tonne of personality in a tiny package and I will miss her dearly.

On a positive note, we have a call with the University of Calgary this Friday to see what prosthetics could be available for my rooster. I've been looking into 3D printing but also casting latex/rubber toes/feet.

RIP my sweet Chatty Cathy.
Rupert and Cathy.jpeg

Sorry for your loss of Chatty Cathy. Thank you for the update about your rooster, and losing his foot and toes. Let us know how he gets along.

Back
Top Bottom