Frozen rats

Silent_Cal

In the Brooder
Oct 18, 2021
I have 5 large frozen rats thag have been in the freezer about 18-20 months, my ball python has decided that she doesn't want them. Are they something I can throw to my chickens are would I be best off just throwing them away. They're from a legit feeder source as well

I know chickens will eat baby mice..and I've seen them eat lizards and many things. Personal view point I get scared of the whole salmonella thing. I even have my chicken food in the house to try to keep mice poo away. A rat is kinda big for a chicken..I'd be worried it might bring in predators..

I have 5 large frozen rats thag have been in the freezer about 18-20 months, my ball python has decided that she doesn't want them. Are they something I can throw to my chickens are would I be best off just throwing them away. They're from a legit feeder source as well
Our chickens eat mice all the time, our barn cats are currently inside for the winter and our chickens have kept the mice at bay. One time a couple of mice set up nests inside the coop with a ton of babies, next day all of them were gone. I've seen our chickens and ducks swallow mice whole (one time a shrew), they LOVE it. I think it'd be fine for your chickens, but I would recommend thawing the rats first.

If it's been frozen solid this whole time, chances are that any disease inside it would be long dead. It's probably safe as long as it died of intentional causes (freezing) rather than illness. If you are concerned about illness, you could always boil it.

But yea, I totally would give that to my chickens. However, I would probably go out there a day later and remove any remains they left (bones, fur, ect) as that could attract predators.

My chickens have caught and eaten live mice before and been fine. I don't really think it's a big deal. It might be a bit gross to watch as they will [;ay keep away and shred it to bits.:sick

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom