Fruit flies and fermented feed...?

Amiti

Songster
8 Years
Jan 25, 2016
Plato, Missouri
Can anyone tell me if fruit flies will cause fermented feed to go bad? A few got into my feed, so I started it over just in case...

My method for fermented feed:

I only ferment in small batches, and refill daily in this heat... I started by adding a couple spoons of acv to the mix and let it set (stirring occasionally) 2 days initially to get good growth started, then I feed all but a couple cups each morning mixed with dry feed so the get all the liquid with the good stuff. Then I refill the small bucket with more feed n water. I get lots of good growth every day, so I'm sure the method is effective.

If fermented feed were to go bad, it would have a very unpleasant odor. Fruit flies are attracted to the sweet smell of the ferment and won't cause it to go bad.

You do not want to allow fruit flies to proliferate, though, as there is always a chance they can transfer bacteria from other sources to food.

You can make a simple fruit flie trap with a jar and Glad Press'n Seal by forming a funnel into the jar with only one hole at the bottom of the funnel. Bait the jar with a quarter inch of ACV in the bottom. The flies climb into the funnel, go down into the jar, and they can't get out.

If fermented feed were to go bad, it would have a very unpleasant odor. Fruit flies are attracted to the sweet smell of the ferment and won't cause it to go bad.

You do not want to allow fruit flies to proliferate, though, as there is always a chance they can transfer bacteria from other sources to food.

You can make a simple fruit flie trap with a jar and Glad Press'n Seal by forming a funnel into the jar with only one hole at the bottom of the funnel. Bait the jar with a quarter inch of ACV in the bottom. The flies climb into the funnel, go down into the jar, and they can't get out.
Thank you. I do have traps out and usually I can keep them out of the feed. I guess I left a little on the rim and few got in and drown. I just fed it all to the birds immediately out of an abundance of caution.

The flies won't do anything to the feed but they're a massive annoyance. If they start getting in the house I throw a thin linen kitchen towel or cheesecloth over the FF jar to keep them out of it, as that still allows the FF to breathe.

Personally I've found a UV zap trap to be far better at getting the little jerks than the ACV traps, though I'll deploy both if needed. Also sticky traps on the window over the kitchen sink, since they'll tend to hang out there since sinks tend to have food odors/debris.

Back
Top Bottom