Full crop 24/7

AChickenBoi

Songster
Oct 13, 2019
I’m not sure if this would be considered an emergency or illness, but I am starting to feel concerned about it. My roo, Blue, who might as well be considered a regular topic on my forum posts, has had a full crop for a couple/few days now. Whenever I let him out of his night time kennel to go hang out with his girls, his crop has not emptied at all from the night before. He doesn’t care for his usual bowl of feed, but will dive into it if I sprinkle mealworms on top or offer table scraps as a treat, so his appetite hasn’t died as of recently.

I don’t think it’s an impacted crop, as it doesn’t feel firm like a tennis ball, and since he has crossed beak, there would be little to no way he could get grass into his beak (it’s also really cold now where I live, so the grass is dormant and). I have my suspicions that it could be sour crop, since his breath smells weird and he doesn’t get a whole lot of grit compared to the girls, but I could just be jumping to conclusions and he’s perfectly fine. What do you think? Is it normal for there to be food in a well fed chicken’s crop all the time? And if it probably is sour crop, what measures do you take to treat it? I’m currently feeding him a diluted solution of apple cider vinegar via syringe, giving him a few pebbles of grit every day for a week, and massaging his crop to get things going.

Trust your instincts and knowledge of your rooster. His crop is sick and needs treatment. This article will help you treat it. https://www.backyardchickens.com/ar...w-to-know-which-one-youre-dealing-with.73607/

A healthy crop will empty overnight. Any food left in a crop will ferment and cause the bad odor you smell. Treatment is with an antiyeast vaginal cream easily found at the market in the women's hygiene products.

Trust your instincts and knowledge of your rooster. His crop is sick and needs treatment. This article will help you treat it. https://www.backyardchickens.com/ar...w-to-know-which-one-youre-dealing-with.73607/

A healthy crop will empty overnight. Any food left in a crop will ferment and cause the bad odor you smell. Treatment is with an antiyeast vaginal cream easily found at the market in the women's hygiene products.
Vaginal cream? Orally? Is there a specific brand to look for that can be ingested orally?

Read the link in post 2 for details. Monistat cream, miconazole, lotrimin, or clotrimazole creams (antifungal creams in the first aid aisle. Some use the suppositories given orally 1/3 twice a day.

Read the link in post 2 for details. Monistat cream, miconazole, lotrimin, or clotrimazole creams (antifungal creams in the first aid aisle. Some use the suppositories given orally 1/3 twice a day.
Is Monistat cream really going to help him? I read the warnings and it says to not ingest orally or put on eyes and I don’t want it to poison him in any way. It would absolutely destroy me if I killed him while trying to treat him.

Is Monistat cream really going to help him? I read the warnings and it says to not ingest orally or put on eyes and I don’t want it to poison him in any way. It would absolutely destroy me if I killed him while trying to treat him.
If he has a sour crop, yes.
I've used it and bird is fine....many many others have also used it.
But first isolate and observe to find out just what the problem is.

I couldn’t find any way to update my pervious threads on Blue, so here’s the link I’m referring to: https://www.backyardchickens.com/threads/full-crop-24-7.1438584/

So quick recap. Blue’s crop isn’t emptying properly, I suspect it’s sour crop. His poop is dark colored, and small compared to his white urine/mess that leaves his kennel smelling bad in a day. I’ve been giving him Monistat cream in 1 milliliter along with some plain yogurt. I plan to add coconut oil and garlic water to the diet once I get my hands on the stuff.

Here’s the thing. I was opening his beak so I could check his mouth and to see if everything is all right in there (side note: I haven’t opened his beak before because I was always too scared if I would hurt him) and I found a single yellow sore on the side of his mouth. We recently treated him for wet fowl pox, and after a few weeks of drinking medicated water and all flock feed, he looked healthy and ready to leave. Is a full crop a sign of returning wet pox that I never knew about? Or am I dealing with two illnesses at once? We still have some of his medicated water in the fridge, so should I mix some of that with his yogurt? (I wouldn’t want to since it actually slows his digestion process, but if it’s going to kill that sore before it gets worse, I’ll probably do it)

My poor baby, this really isn’t his year ;(

Back
Top Bottom