Full crop? Or Blocked up?

Citychick

Songster
12 Years
Jan 31, 2007
I have three hamburg chicks who are almost three week s old and I just switched them from their brooder tub to a wire cage in the bathroom. They are warm enough but have been frantic all day. Crying and carrying on. I switched their bedding from shavings to pellets. These are supposed to be safe for chickens. They look like large rabbit feed pellets. And break down when wet into a sawdust looking substance. Their crops look very full and it worried me so I took out the pellets and laid the rubber liner down I used when they were tiny. Is there anything I can do if the are compcted and how do I tell?

Take their food & water away from them at night. In the morning before giving it back to them check their crops, they should be almost impossible to detect.

The other thing that could be wrong is that it is too cool for them. Chicks will carry on and be very distressed if they are not warm enough. If they have been moved to an open cage it may not be holding enough warmth for them.

I was concerned by the line "break down when wet into a sawdust-looking substance" (sorry, I don't know how to do that quote thing!). At three weeks they still aren't very sensible and maybe they were snacking on the pellets - ? If they did eat any of the litter, I assume it would get wet in the crop and perhaps swell up.
I hope they perk up.

They are doing much better. I did take all food away untill late the next morning but kept water in and they still acted funny. But eventually after some funny bowel movements everyone is doing well. The main reason I switched is none of the stores in town have pine shavings. The distributer is out or something. I have looked every where. And these said they were safe. Plus they couldn't kick them up into the water as easy. Oh well atleast thet didn't croak and are back to normal. Thanks everyone!

Back
Top Bottom