Fun thread...What is the rarest / coolest breed of chicken you have or know of

kristin07035

Songster
6 Years
Jan 15, 2014
NJ
Just as the title says I'm interested in finding / learning of "new" breeds I never heard of...
post pictures too if you have any!

Swedish Orust Fowl
IMG_20191110_144716.jpg
IMG_20191110_140258.jpg
IMG_20191110_140344.jpg
IMG_20191108_215329.jpg

I will have to get some photos to post of my rooster, and my hens. I have a legacy which came down here from Maine, as well as 2 hens. The mother hen passed away about 2 years ago but the rooster is still going. In fact I thought the other day about breeding him with his own daughters, but not sure if that would be a good thing or not. They still have them I believe in central Maine, but not sure how many are around. My dad had his still in 1980, and my mom sold them to my uncle. Mine came from my uncles, and he passed away last year so not sure where his all went to. I have had mine since 2008. I only got 2 daughters from him. Both are pretty little red heads. My husband loves his tail the most. It's just so different then most roosters around here. These are photos of the oldest girl that we have when she was still a pullet so about 3 years ago.

Last edited:
What breed is she? Neat coloring
I will have to get some photos to post of my rooster, and my hens. I have a legacy which came down here from Maine, as well as 2 hens. The mother hen passed away about 2 years ago but the rooster is still going. In fact I thought the other day about breeding him with his own daughters, but not sure if that would be a good thing or not. They still have them I believe in central Maine, but not sure how many are around. My dad had his still in 1980, and my mom sold them to my uncle. Mine came from my uncles, and he passed away last year so not sure where his all went to. I have had mine since 2008. I only got 2 daughters from him. Both are pretty little red heads. My husband loves his tail the most. It's just so different then most roosters around here. These are photos of the oldest girl that we have when she was still a pullet so about 3 years ago.

These are the oddest kind I've ever heard of. I googled for pics...at $5000 a pair I will never own them...but then again not sure if I like them or not
[/IMG][/IMG]???
Ayam Cemani birds are completely black: black plumage with a greenish shine, black legs and toe nails, black beak and tongue, black comb and wattles, black meat and bones and even black organs. The roosters weigh 2–2.5 kg and the hens from 1.5–2 kg. The hens are non-roosting and produce 80 white eggs with a slight pink tint per year.

[/IMG][/IMG]???
Ayam Cemani birds are completely black: black plumage with a greenish shine, black legs and toe nails, black beak and tongue, black comb and wattles, black meat and bones and even black organs. The roosters weigh 2–2.5 kg and the hens from 1.5–2 kg. The hens are non-roosting and produce 80 white eggs with a slight pink tint per year.[/QUOTE]
[/IMG]

Back
Top Bottom