Funnels aren't just good for "Tin-man" hats!

Quote:
"Killjoy"? You sure wouldn't say that if you saw my shop and imagined trying to catch a couple dozen chicks running around inside it!
lol.png

As far as the perching and flying, they are two weeks old and I built a "training" perch when I put them in the brooder. They were perching within the first week. Funny to watch them asleep on the perch, with their beaks in the pine shavings.
smile.png
They started seriously flapping their wings and running around like little birds with the full intention of flight right at about the one week mark. I'm pretty convinced this will be a batch of airborne chickens when they mature. Just hope they don't fly away with the wild turkey that wander all over my property in season.
roll.png

Quote:
Good idea, but my coop wasn't sprayed with the colored stain yet and I didn't want to subject the babies to the fumes. And the 110 gallon water tub I used for the brooder wouldn't have fit through the door.

That solved my problem. A funnel is a great idea. I have been using a plastic tray that goes under a flower pot to cover the top of the feeder. They like to sit up there and then poop and it always lands in the tray of the feeder.

Thanks for the idea. And as far as keeping the little flying buggars in the brooder, I use one of those expandable window screens. I don't have alot of chicks at any given time so I use either a large clear storage tub or a 20 gal aquarium. I put the screen on the top of either one. Which ever is being used. The screen does't cover the large tub completely but they still can't get out. It expands to cover lengh wise but not width.

smile.png
I use a kids plastic traffic cone on the top of my water and feeder to keep the girls off. I purchased them at wal-mart in the toy sporting area. It keeps the girls off and the water and food clean.

Quote:
Chris? Secret breed of chickens?

Not at all..............I thought your question was directed towards CMOM.

I have 7 Rhode Island Reds, 8 Barred Rocks, 8 Black Stars, and one shipping peanut that doesn't resemble any of the others. The shipping peanut is the one that doesn't want to stand much, and then one of the BR's looks as if she's not going to make it either. So I'll probably lose those two before long. The others are growing like little weeds. Can't wait to put them in the coop and let them be chickens!
lol.png

Back
Top Bottom