Funniest moment I've had with my chickens

ChicksterJo

Songster
8 Years
Feb 19, 2011
Grounded on Earth
Today was a lazy day for my chickens. It was in the 90s so they just lay around like dogs in the summer sun. This afternoon I went out to go see and feed them. I noticed there was a hole in the ground in their run. I know that there are mice in the backyard, since my dogs have been "mousing" since warm weather arrived.
After giving them more food, I decided it was time to water the veggie garden. This is when I noticed there was a great ruckus in the chicken run. I ran as fast as I could to see what they were up to now. My biggest girl, a Red Star named Scratch, had something gray and furry in her mouth. A mouse!
She had a hold of that mouse like it was her last meal on earth. She was running away and doing anything possible to keep the other chickens from getting at her prize! I was disgusted by the mouse but amused at the same time. It's always great fun to see the chickens playing "Keep Away."
It was only a couple of minutes later, she was standing at the far end of the run with her pal, Runt Red, another Red Star. It was like they were having some secret convention. Anyway, the next time I see Scratch, thirty seconds later, the mouse was gone! I think she swallowed the thing whole. I hope too much isn't a good thing (she should have shared) but it was a new experience for them.
Great! Now all of my pets are "mousers"!

All I can say is
lau.gif
gig.gif

hehehehe Oh yes it can look like mouse football when one slips into a run with my crew. They also kill snakes, chipmunks, frogs, lizards... Extra protein is good for them, even when it is gross.

Aren't their behaviors hilarious? I had a similar event: My rooster was free ranging with the girls and he started running around making this funny sound. I looked closer and realized he had a little toad in his beak. He was conflicted about whether to share it with the girls or save it for himself. He would run, then put it down and peck at it and the run off again with it making this sort of whiny sound. He eventually took it back to the coop run and let the hens peck at it too. They were all so excited.

When we lived in OK from 2002-2007, we had a Buff Chantecler hen that was a "mouser". At first, I could not believe what I saw, but it was awesome. Also, mowing was fun when the poultry would follow along and snatch the grasshoppers leaping out from the mower.

scratch'n'peck :

Aren't their behaviors hilarious? I had a similar event: My rooster was free ranging with the girls and he started running around making this funny sound. I looked closer and realized he had a little toad in his beak. He was conflicted about whether to share it with the girls or save it for himself. He would run, then put it down and peck at it and the run off again with it making this sort of whiny sound. He eventually took it back to the coop run and let the hens peck at it too. They were all so excited.

lau.gif
So cute! I love it! What a noble rooster. Well, sorta noble.
roll.png
We all know he wants SOMETHING in return from his girls for sharing that toad!
lol.png

We have not laughed as much as we have since getting these chickens. They truely are good medicine for the soul. Ours had an encounter with a lizard at about 4 weeks old. They chased it around but didn't know what to do with it. Although we have not seen the lizard back in the coop, we feel certain that he learned his lesson. I know that ours are as spoiled as the cats are. I cannot wait to see our rooster share with his ladies. He lets them eat before him already so his manners are there. Just hope he stays that way.

lol.png
lol.png
Mice?! I've heard it all now!

Chickens are definitely secret comedians with excellent comedy timing.

Mine just chased each other round for a piece of rubber they found on the kitchen floor. In the end I took it off them (before it got eaten!) and now they're both sulking and refusing to take the crumpet I offered in consolation
roll.png

Back
Top Bottom