Funny 12 Week Old Pullet Behavior!

JenElliott

In the Brooder
May 24, 2016
Athens, Texas
My flock of six pullets (3 barred rocks, 3 black sex-links) are at that teenage, sometimes peeping, sometimes clucking stage. Two of them, Betsy and Copper, did something very different and very funny today. When I was petting/massaging their backs, they started clucking.. a different type of cluck. Then they dropped their chests to the ground and arched their tails straight up into the air, to the point they were curving over their backs. When I realized what they were doing... I laughed so hard I almost fell off the stool! I told them, "Sorry ladies, there are no roosters here!" I thought they are a little young for that behavior, assuming I am correct in my thinking. Regardless of the reason, they sure looked and sounded pretty silly! Chickens are such a joy!

Here's Betsy:

and here's Copper:

Arching their backs,tail in the air?That's not the "Submissive Squat".And their too young to really be doing that anyways,hmm makes me wonder what they were really doing?

Hi TheTwoRoos,

Yeah, it definitely looked nothing like the submissive squat that my 3 1/2 year old hens do... and only two of the six 12 week old pullets do it. Whatever the reason behind it, it's hysterical to watch! Plus, they really seemed to be enjoying themselves, LOL... like wanting me to keep doing it. So funny!
lau.gif

Mine all do that salmon faverolles I pat their back and they curve their spine and flip their tails up and do this weird sound with their beaks. It reminds me of when u scratch a dog behind the ears and they thump their back leg lol

Yes, that's exactly what mine do! Well, just two of the pullets... I managed to get a picture of Betsy doing it... So funny!!
lau.gif
If you look close, you can ever see her eyelid is covering her eye... as if her eyes are rolling back in her head. I love chickens so much... the crack me up everyday!

I cannot see how asking someone is it their First time raising chickens personal,but yes that is what I meant first time keeping chickens.

Back
Top Bottom