Funny chicken stories

So recently my teen chickens were attacked and almost killed by my dog. Betty the barred rock hid in the gerage behind the hot water heater! Not a mark on her. Welll she was outside and one of my moms poodles came out to pee. While he was peeing Betty who I thought was a hen ran up behing him and flogged him! That scared the pee out of him! lol He ran back inside.

Heres a pic of betty the pint sized chicken.

Funny! One time, Blackie my Black Star was walking around on the porch and one of the cats(Buddy) was up there, too. When Blackie walked next to Buddy, she pecked him in the face! Buddy was confused because he didn't really do anything...
roll.png
Or when my girls were afraid of a little kestrel flying over...Or when I once had a meat bird that was long overdue for butchering(10 lbs), she would hang out with the other girls out in the field and when I would call them, the meat bird would attempt to run along with them! Imagine a 10 lb bird with wide-spread legs trying to run...

I was on the phone with T-Mobile's automated system trying to pay my cell phone bill (which by the way is the worst automated system I've ever dealt with EVER!!!) Anywho I was standing in the kitchen and my back sliding door was open and my rooster Floyd was standing on the back patio looking at me. Right after the automated system asked me to either say or type in my card number, Floyd let out a super loud crow. the automated system immediately responded with "sorry I didn't get that". I thought it was really funny.

Haha just imagine if you had a real person.
gig.gif
Whenever I let Funky out he books for the back porch, the kitchen window gets dark like someone turned off the sun lol. We have 3 wild bird feeders hung up just above Funky's wattles. (not unpurpose) Well he flies up on the railing and turns his almost horizontal to wat out of the tiny bird feeders. :)

I recently added Buckeyes to the flock. One of them, Maggie, is a bit of a runt (well, the last few days she's started sprouting up!), but she's been relatively small compared to the other girls. Anyway, I was standing outside the coop a couple of weeks ago, just watching everyone interact - 6 of the hens (not Maggie) are about 10 weeks old, while Maggie and the rest were introduced as new chicks - the older girls were around 4-5 weeks. Maggie was eating at the feed bucket...one of my NHRs (older) walked up and pushed her out of the way! Maggie stood there for a few seconds, taking it all in, then walked up and pushed the NHR away from the feeder! The NHR looked a little insulted, stared at Maggie for a minute, then walked away - I'd swear she had her head hung in shame!

Last edited:
I recently added Buckeyes to the flock.  One of them, Maggie, is a bit of a runt (well, the last few days she's started sprouting up!), but she's been relatively small compared to the other girls.  Anyway, I was standing outside the coop a couple of weeks ago, just watching everyone interact - 6 of the hens (not Maggie) are about 10 weeks old, while Maggie and the rest were introduced as new chicks - the older girls were around 4-5 weeks.  Maggie was eating at the feed bucket...one of my NHRs (older) walked up and pushed her out of the way!  Maggie stood there for a few seconds, taking it all in, then walked up and pushed the NHR away from the feeder!  The NHR looked a little insulted, stared at Maggie for a minute, then walked away - I'd swear she had her head hung in shame!
I think maybe the name "Maggie" might have something to do with it. My Maggie is a bossy and assertive little firecracker as well.

My BO rooster Ginger came in the house to watch TV, and he was just sitting there, watching his little movie... and then someone on the TV started singing, and he started crowing and flapping his wings like he was singing and dancing too
yippiechickie.gif

This happened last Sunday.
I have three chicks in a brooder in my living room. Two of them are trained to jump out of the brooder for treats when the lid is open. I left for four hours and when I came back, three of the four lids were open, there was poop everywhere, the bowl of treats was empty, and all three chicks were inside the brooder! Apparently, they figured how to get out, so they partied for awhile before getting cold. So, they put themselves away... Nobody was home to let them out. We now keep weights on top of the lids.

Back
Top Bottom