future coop and run

I have to show that cutter to Ken! Your coop's looking just grand!
we had a severe hail storm 4 or 5 years ago and had to replace a roof. I put a metal roof on the house, and bought this from the metal dealer. Man it's like using electric scissors on metal and works fantastic on mesh. I've used it more to cut hardware cloth for coops I've built than I ever did for metal roofing, LOL

today I finished all the framing except for the steps. I have a good friend who runs the local metal building business, I went by and told him I was building a chicken coop and I need some metal roofing cheap! LOL since I'm just doing galvanized and not painted, they usually have a pretty good bit of seconds, including the ridge cap and transition pieces. I'll be able to go pick it up tomorrow bout lunch and it will be somewhere in the neighborhood of 2/3 the cost of first run painted metal roofing.

I did get the hardware cloth delivered yesterday, so I got the pieces cut for the windows, man I love the metal sheers that go in the cordless drill. Like cutting this mesh with electric scissors:

I went ahead and got the air stapler out and fastened it to the framing before I put the siding up
Ooooo I have tool envy!!

I would seriously consider attaching the HC at the second wire from the edge, those edge welds can break pretty easy.

yeah aart if I had it to do over again, i'd cut the mesh one square bigger, but the siding is also over it. The siding cutouts are also going to double as shutters.

Last edited:
yeah aart if I had it to do over again, i'd cut the mesh one square bigger, but the siding is also over it. The siding cutouts are also going to double as shutters.

sorry y'all won't get to see the finished product. I'm not much of one for some of what I saw happen in another thread, so I won't be coming around much if at all from this point forward. And yeah, I hate to see goodbye speeches, LOL but it is what it is
I'm really sorry you had a bad experience on BYC - and we sure hate to lose your ideas and humor. Stuff happens in public forums and you can either unsubscribe from that thread or plop yourself down into the middle of the discussion. But we hate to see you leave BYC altogether over some real or perceived hostility. It's happened to me a couple of times, and I've even been the unknowing instigator. As soon as I realize that I'm at fault, I issue my public apology and then move on. And when it seems to me that a thread is getting personal or mean, I'm outta there. (Love that "unsubscribe" button.) But there is way too much valuable information on this forum to chuck the whole thing because of the behavior of a few.

Besides, I wanted to see your coop done! (Why don't we have a pouty face emotocon?)

sorry y'all won't get to see the finished product. I'm not much of one for some of what I saw happen in another thread, so I won't be coming around much if at all from this point forward. And yeah, I hate to see goodbye speeches, LOL but it is what it is
Oh that's good that the edges will be covered.

Engage with the best, ignore the idiots....please don't leave.

ok after some chatting with a few good members here about the issues I was having, I'm back with some updates. Got the siding installed windows front and side, people door and nest box opening:

and the roofing:

needed to cut the pop doors for the chicks. Here's how I cut a hole I need to mark from the inside:

first, measure off where I want it. Shoot some screws through the corners like this:

then wrap a chalk line around any of the screws, pull it tight and go to another corner, repeat until you have a square, then pop the lines:

you can then drill a hole in each corner and cut with a jigsaw, or I just raise the guard on the skill saw and ease the blade into the lines. Thought I had a pic after, but not before I painted. Speaking of paint.....DW and I were talking about what color to paint. I had kind of wanted to do a barn red and trim in white. So off to the big box we go. If you're following along, you know I ALWAYS check the "OOPS" bin for lumber, that works for paint as well. Just so happened they had a gallon of barn red someone didn't pick up after they asked for it to be mixed, so into the oops stack it goes. I bought a $28 gallon of paint for $9...... so here's some painted pics, as well as the pop doors:

speaking of the bargain lumber bin, I needed a pressure treated 2x12x8 to cut for stair stringers. These are usually $14 plus change each. They had 2 of them in the painted purple bin, as well as a 2x6x16, and a couple more 8 ft 2x4's. I bought them all, and a box of screws, for $17. If y'all aren't checking for discounted lumber, paint and all your materials, you're giving money away!

I also have the nest box mounted and painted, the pop doors cut, framed and painted, as well as having the double doors ready to build and mount, hopefully that be done tomorrow.

Last edited:
Lookin' good! That great idea of the chalk line wrapped around the screws to give you a line for cutting is so doggone simple I had to call Ken in and kick him in the hiney for not doing that when we built! Sheesh!

Just for those who don't know, at least two of the big box stores, Lowes and Home Depot, also give a discount to military and retired military. We saved a good chunk of change asking for that, too!

Lookin' good! That great idea of the chalk line wrapped around the screws to give you a line for cutting is so doggone simple I had to call Ken in and kick him in the hiney for not doing that when we built! Sheesh!

Just for those who don't know, at least two of the big box stores, Lowes and Home Depot, also give a discount to military and retired military. We saved a good chunk of change asking for that, too!
coveting my tools, stealing my ideas.....for shame for shame!!!

gig.gif

LOL actually, I saw it on the internet somewhere not long ago. it worked fantastic too. I used to just drill a hole in the corners from the inside and then mark and cut from hole to hole. This was must easier

Last edited:
Come talk to me again after you steal my run idea!
lau.gif
gig.gif

touche!!!!

although I actually got the idea on here 4 years ago from someone. He went way overboard building his framework out of pressure treated 4x6's......

I do like the lattice idea though. I will ask, have you tried different types of tarps? i'm going to cover part of mine to give them some covered outside space. Is the one you're using holding up pretty well?

Back
Top Bottom