GAHHHH! Pressure washing the driveway again!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Diamond Wire Farms

Songster
9 Years
Jan 19, 2011
Placerville, CA
So we have 7 acres of pasture, a half-acre pond, and a natural creek.
Why will the geese walk a mile to poop and hang out on the HOT asphalt driveway?
Its like they own the place.
wink.png

Don't ask about the weekend my husband left the garage door open. It was not a pretty scene.

They just love you so much they want to be close to you!
love.gif
love.gif
love.gif

(or, they're expressing how they really feel about you by pooping up your driveway)
gig.gif

My geese are always watching for me. I suspect that I am expected to provide entertainment as well as a steady stream of treats. They like to stand and wait at the closest point to my back door.

Is the drive close to where you come out of the house? You might put up some low fencing to keep them away from your drive. I use plastic chicken wire on some simple lightweight posts to keep them out of my flowers. The geese don't lean on the fence, so it doesn't have to be sturdy, and they don't go over the top, so it doesn't have to be tall.

Aside from the mess, I would be afraid they might get hit by the car. They aren't tall enough to see when you are in the driver's seat.

I feel your pain, haha!!! Until we got our fencing up in the back we let them loose in our side lawn that is bordered by a brick walkway & stairs from the house. You guess it - that's where they liked to poop. We are having a hot summer so had to be careful about hosing the walk from our well - naturally the pump quit on the well used for watering flowers, critters etc. at the beginning of the heat wave so we've been watering the chickens, geese & turkeys from our house well. Now that we have the fence up and them moved to the back lawn, at least we can start to clean off the sidewalk and it will stay clean. Maybe its the heat they like from the driveway or walk? Although why they would want extra heat in this weather is beyond me! They are characters!

Same scenario at our house. 37 acres- 9 of it lake and they spend a great deal of their time on our concrete drive in front of the garage or on our front porch! It's a site to see 16 geese on the front porch when you come home. I have to hose it down every evening. I have no idea what is so interesting about the front of the house.

I don't have an answer but will confirm the order of what they like 1. blachtop 2 brick 3 colored pavers 4 cement 5 gravel driveway or path 6 sand pile 7 pool or pond 8 nice green lawn. It could be worse they used to attack my car if it was clean or shining.

Quote:
They're just waiting for an invitation to come inside where its nice and cool and they can watch a little tv on the sofa.

Quote:
They're just waiting for an invitation to come inside where its nice and cool and they can watch a little tv on the sofa.

Yep! I keep telling my dh when he goes out of town my gander Sammy comes in sits in his recliner with a cold glass of tea and watchs NCIS. {he also orders popcorn}
big_smile.png

Back
Top Bottom