Galvanized Steel coop

My hubby has agreed to let me build a hoop house as long as I make it big enough to have a greenhouse in it also! I have 8 livestock panels on hand. I didn't think I had any. I also have almost a pound of deck screws so it's a matter of getting the rest of the materials and building it. I will also have to clear the area that I want it in before I can build it. He's actually a bit excited about it after I casually threw in that we could have fresh vegetables in the winter. We're going to have it go from our backyard to our garden area. I am excited! Without having to buy $200s worth of livestock panels it will be a lot cheaper. He also likes the idea of the chickens tilling a composting the raised greenhouse beds during the off season. Heck I might even be able to let them into the garden after I harvest everything out of it. It's going to be 10'x16' respectively. Maybe a bit longer. The coop will be 10x8 and the greenhouse 10x8 or longer. Just depends on how far it is from the garden. He's also talking about putting in an electric fence. I lost 1 of my meat birds yesterday. So we weren't happy about that. I've gotten the 5 of my chickens enclosed for the night, and will let them out this morning. I've also been up and down all night checking on them. So I want to get this going soon. I need to protect my chickens dang it.

I built a couple hoop houses the other week of ½" PVC, a bunch of fittings and welded wire. I used 1x3 for doors and support at one end. Total cost was about $300 or less for two 10x10 with a bunch of welded wire left for my next project. I used PVC cement and wire ties and screws to hold it together. I'm using one as a grow out pen and one is in my barn with some project birds.

They are good if left in one spot, but twist if you try to move them. I've moved them a it, but wouldn't try it with birds inside.

I can try to snap a few pics later today if you'd like. My phone won't always upload them, but I can try.

I had priced 1 1/2 inch pvc. Didn't think about using 1/2 inch. I plan on using some of my baling wire for a bit more support, and fence off the back half for the chickens. After I build it it's not moving. I had also planned on using 2x4s for the wooden end frames and doors. We have coyotes here that will try to brake in. We also have skunks. I'm planning to use chicken wire on the bottom for some security, and if my husband gets his wish electric fence to shock the little stinkers away from my food sources. I'll have to recalculate with 1/2" and see if it knocks the price down. He liked the looks of the pvc frame better than just the livestock panel ones. If it makes him see things my way I'm happy lol.
I built a couple hoop houses the other week of ½" PVC, a bunch of fittings and welded wire. I used 1x3 for doors and support at one end. Total cost was about $300 or less for two 10x10 with a bunch of welded wire left for my next project. I used PVC cement and wire ties and screws to hold it together. I'm using one as a grow out pen and one is in my barn with some project birds.

They are good if left in one spot, but twist if you try to move them. I've moved them a it, but wouldn't try it with birds inside.

I can try to snap a few pics later today if you'd like. My phone won't always upload them, but I can try.

Back
Top Bottom